Chapter 6

The eagles put you down after flying for several hours. You were conscious of a searing pain at the back of your head and your left leg was paining like a thousand devils. Ignoring the pain, you stood and watched Gandalf walk over to Thorin. You were scared and concerned; Thorin could not forsake his company - he could not forsake you.

Gandalf seemed to revive him as you heaved a sigh of relief when you saw him stand up. He asked for Bilbo. Everyone cheered when Thorin embraced him and told him that he had been wrong to doubt him, to think that he did not belong with the company. Then, he turned towards you.

"How did you make it past the goblins?" he asked, nearing you.

"I never encountered goblins," you replied, slightly stepping back. "I found myself in a tunnel when I woke up and after wandering for a very, very long time, I found my way out of it."

"Didn't you.... uh.... come across anything?" Bilbo asked, quite abruptly.

You shook your head. "No."

"Thank goodness you're okay. We'd given you up lassie," Bofur beamed. You smiled.

Thorin, who was still inching closer, suddenly roared, "What were you thinking? You could have died! I didn't know that humans were so foolish!"

You were very much surprised and disappointed and hurt. You stood there in gloomy silence, staring at the ground, trying hard to contain the tears that had begun to blind you. Suddenly, a strong pair of arms enfolded you as you felt your heart swell with happiness.

"I hope you'll never do that again for you'll be no good if you're dead," he said as the others cheered behind you. You smiled with glistening eyes and he smiled back.

***************************
Thorin's happiness knew no bounds when he saw that Y/n had made it alive. In his attempt to conceal his emotions, he had blurted out angrily. He went for the embrace when he saw that his words had hurt her. He had done it in an impulse but he was glad to have been able to hold her. He had drunk this moment to the very last drop, savouring the taste of his renewed happiness.
***************************
"Is it what I think it is?" Bilbo said, as you all followed his gaze.

"Erebor," Thorin sighed, moving towards him. "Our home."

The Lonely Mountain stood tall in the far distance with pride and majesty, just like its King in exile, returning to claim what was rightfully his.