“Why don’t you just be there for her when she needs you,” I suggest.

Jeremy groans a little. “How can I watch someone I love destroy themselves and all those that love them?”

I felt my body stiffen a little. I probably understood what Jeremy was going through more than anyone else in this world. I once watched a love one practically destroy my entire family.

“Sometimes, you love people so much that you wish you could stop them from doing destructive deeds,” I say quietly. “But in the end, you need to be there for them when they realize that they’ve done wrong.”

I was such a hypocrite, I thought bitterly. Maybe I should take my own advice.

Jeremy just stared at me appreciatively before giving me a hug.

“Woah,” I laugh. “This girl really has changed you.”

Jeremy smirks. “Oh, yeah? What is that supposed to mean?”

I laugh out loud. “When I first met you, you were some drunk, drug-using punk ass kid.”

“That’s not the real me,” he comments.

I smile at him. “I can see that now.”

The door to Elena’s bedroom flies open all of a sudden and she is standing there with her eyes wide and a terrified expression on her face. I could tell that Stefan had told her the truth and I could tell that she wasn’t handling it very well.

Elena glares at me. “Get away from my brother,” she spits out venomously.

I raise my eyebrows at her. Elena was usually pretty nice and really easygoing. The girl in front of me now reminded me more of Katherine and her attitude.

Jeremy steps in front of me defensively. “Elena, calm down. What’s going on?”

She just looks past him and scowls at me. “Just leave Jeremy alone. He has enough problems to deal with.”

I can tell that Jeremy is starting to get a little bit mad so I decide to step in before the two siblings started arguing.

“No need to fuss over little old’ me,” I joke, trying to lighten the mood.

This only causes Elena to look even more defensive and more on the edge of a breakdown. I can see that she is actually trembling from head to toe and that her breathing is uneven.

“Well this is really fun and all, but I’m leaving!” I announce cheerfully. Jeremy has a confused expression on his face and Elena is still glowering.

“Just get out!” she practically shrieks.

In that moment, she sounded so much like Katherine that I almost thought it was her. But there was a scared expression in her eyes and Katherine rarely showed much fear. There was only a couple of people I knew that could evoke that kind of fear in that bitch.

“No need to be bitchy about it,” I say. I look over at Jeremy, a sly expression sliding onto my face. “Or maybe we could hang out, Jeremy?”

Jeremy grins at me but Elena continues to shoot daggers with her eyes. She was getting on my nerves; it was so tempting to just snap her neck. But then no one would really like that and then things were sure to get boring.

Jeremy leads me to his room and he flops down on his bed.

“Want to play COD?” he asks me.

What the hell is that?

“Er, what is that?” I ask him.

He gives me an incredulous look. “It’s a video game called Call of Duty. You know, it’s only the best game out there right now…”