Chapter 12

"You haven't visited your mom." Luis said when I walked in from school.

"Well, maybe I don't wanna. Where's the camera crew?" I said.

"Why, you can't dump her in a nursing home and just neglect her. And they're not here, we need to talk about this." He said.

"Whoa, I didn't dump her there, total strangers came to me and said "hey, your mother can't remember shit, but don't worry, you'll marry a complete celebrity." I'm done with this conversation." I said as I walked away. "Why do you even have a sudden interest all of a sudden?" I asked, turning around.

"Tina, the social worker called. She said you haven't visited, and it could be because you're hiding from your true emotions."

"I'm not hiding shit. I tell it how it is, telling people how I feel. She doesn't know nothing." I said.

"Well you should visit her. Imagine if it was you." Luis pointed as I walked in the kitchen, Luis following. I opened a bag of chips and delightfully munched on them.

"Yeah but it's not." I said rolling my eyes.

"I know if it were my mother-" He began but I completely cut him off.

"But it's not, ok? It's my mother! She won't recognize her one and only daughter, so yeah I need some time. And I don't want to hear a conversation about this. Ever." I said as I walked upstairs to my room.

"I don't know why you're isolating yourself, you've got a doctor's appointment." Luis called. I groaned as I opened my door and came downstairs.

I sat in the car as we drove to Dr. William's office. "Do you have to drive me?" I asked him as he backed out of the driveway.

"Course I do, now buckle up." He said as he drove.

"Are you excited about the wedding?" I asked him, killing the silence.

"Yeah, I guess. I mean, yeah, why?" He said, nervously.

"I mean, how did I end up with you? How does my mother know you?" I asked him as he tensed up.

"No idea. Speaking of your mother-"

"Don't." I said, as he drove and once again silence came.

**

"I'm not putting on this medical dress on." I shook my head as I examined it.

"Nicole, don't be hardheaded." Luis said as he got up and tugged on my shirt.

"Look away." I said as I was about to take off my shirt.

"Suppose I want to look." He said, widening his eyes.

"What, did Hailey not give you anything last night, so now you're all horny?" I said as I raised my eyebrow.

"Shh! There could be cameras in here. Honey." He gave me a look like dont-talk-about-hailey look.

"Mhm. Just turn around. And no peaking." I said as I wiggled out my clothes and into the dress that still made me feel naked. I walked ouside to the scale.

"Wow Nicole, you weigh 137 pounds. That's ten pounds more than last time." The doctor said as Luis laughed. I playfully pushed him.

"You seem to be good, are there any concerns you have?" Dr. Williams asked. I loved Dr. Williams. She had beautiful red hair, her skin was oily, smooth, with no acne or freckles in sight. Her hands were the softest, and she was in great shape. I could tell her anything.

"There is one thing. Luis, dear, could you please wait outside?" I asked Luis as he nodded. He exited the room and I waited to hear his footsteps get quieter and quieter before proceding to talk. "I want to be tested to see if I have the alzheimer gene." I said.

Please comment. Thank you.