Chapter 4

Daddy Steve?

Steve P.O.V.

"Say aahh~~" I said as I feed James his food. Yes, I, proudly, named him James. Actually he chose it. Vision, Sam, Scott and I suggested names for him and when the argument got hot, Natasha decided that the baby (James) should choose his name by crawling to whomever calls him a name. Gladly, and proudly, he chose me. Sam still thinks its unfair because James and I already 'bonded'.

"Good boy." I said patting him after finishing a bowl of Gerber. He clapped and I carried him back to his playground, which is the living room. I have been reading books on how to take care of a baby, baby behaviour and stuff to help know more about this. Thankfully Nat have been teaching me too. I still wonder how we got this kind of mission.

"I guess you're just too special, huh. Having the Avengers tend to you?" I said as he just continued playing. He suddenly got a hold of Natasha's coat under the table, which made him cry. I picked him up and started dancing him, trying to calm him. He probably misses Nat too.

It has been, 4? 5 days since Natasha went on a week-long mission. I expected her to jump around in happiness but no. She looked unexpectedly down that day. She got extremely selfish of her time with James. I guess she got too attached to him since she was the one who was always with James.

"Okey, calm down baby. Mama will be home soon." I said as I danced him but he's still crying.

"Man, will you shut him up?" Sam complained who clearly just woke up, walking his way to the kitchen. "Who farted?" Sam asked covering his nose while pouring himself a cup of coffee. I realized, it was not James missing Nat that made him cry.

"Man, c'mon, help me up." I said as I placed James on the table.

"Oh no no. You know Cap, I'll help you with anything but not with that." Sam said with a disgusted face.

"Sam, just, hand me what I need." I instructed.

***

Natasha's P.O.V.

This is bad. I am badly missing James and it is affecting my performance in my mission. Not in a bad way though. No more playing before eating the prey time. No more fun, just pure mission. I am not like this. And I am not liking this change. But thinking about James, it just fuels my need to see, touch, and take care of him. So now I'm barging in Fury's office, finishing my mission in just 5 days.

"Here's all the information that you need." I said, throwing him the flash drive, making my way to leave his office in no time.

"Woah, woah, woah. What's with the rush, Romanoff?" he said as he caught the drive and walked to me.

"What do you need?" I said, a bit too harshly as I turned to him.

"Is this about the kid?" I couldn't believe what I was witnessing because for the first time, I couldn't compose even a simple lie.

"I already warned you to not get attach to the baby, Nat. You know what happens if proven that he is dangerous." he said, telling me my current fear.

"Then why give him to us-to me then?!"

"You know, first hand, Romanoff, that I have trust issues. You, of all of the avengers, have I entrusted this mission because you were the least to get attached to it."

"You only see me as a deadly, emotionless agent who can't get attached to babies and can dispose them if needed to, but let me break it to you, Nick. I. Am. Human. Too." I said, wiping a stray tear from my cheek. "And don't call him a mission because his name is James." I walked straight to the Avengers' Lounge before pouring all my sadness to tears.