Everlasting Light

Start from the beginning

"Ditto," I said as I arrived next to him and opened the door. I walked in first with Akihiko close behind. We saw Lulu laying on her bed, her back facing us. It didn't take long for her to realize we were there and she turned to face us. Her eyes didn't hold their normal joyous shine. Instead, they were puffy and red. It made me sad to think about how long she must have been crying for.

"Hey you two........." she said with a sniffle. Akihiko and I sat on her bed. "How are you?" I asked while rubbing her leg. A sigh left her mouth. "Well........I've got no tears left to cry," she said sadly.

"But your still suffering inside......." said Akihiko. Lulu nodded immediately. The boxer and I shared a glance before looking back at Lulu.

"Talk to us. What's going through your mind," I said. Lulu was silent for a good moment. Her eyes gazing at the floor.

"I'm sorry.........."

"Sorry? For what?" said Akihiko.

"I promised you guys...........I promised that........that I would fight by your side...............and now.........."

Lulu hugged her knees. "Now I can't........"

"Lulu......" I said as Akihiko rubbed her back.

"I broke my promise............and I'm sorry."

It was true. She said during her speech that she promised to fight with us and lend her power. And now she couldn't. But none of us blamed her for what happened.

"It's not your fault." I said. "If anything, your father is the one to blame. Nobody here thinks you broke your promise."

Lulu began to tremble as the two of us comforted her. 'Just seeing her like this.........makes me so mad. Her father is gonna pay........' I thought.

"Blake is right. Your father is the one who caused this to happen. But don't worry, when he and his goons show up we'll knock 'em flat," said Akihiko with a grin.

"I.........I-I......." The girl tried to formulate some words. After she sniffled once more, she spoke a bit clearer. "I......I-I'm not sure.......about that anymore......."

"Huh? Wait.......you think he'll win?" I asked with confusion. "We won't let that happen Lulu." I was confused as to why Lulu was saying this. Akihiko looked just as confused as me when I glanced at him.

"I've lost all hope.......I've lost all confidence."

'She's........lost all hope and confidence?' I thought surprised.

"In what?" I asked.

"Everything. Myself, our chances of winning..........everything," she sighed. "I'm sorry.........but I just can't.....not anymore. The hope and confidence.....it was lost along with my powers. Hell, they WERE my powers......."

Her body began to shake and tears ran down her face. "And they're gone now..........." I could tell that Lulu was trying to hold back her sobs but Akihiko said, "It's okay. Let it out." "Heh.......hehe......so much for no tears left to cry." With that statement, we comforted her as she openly cried.