Daily Dose of Mediocre Puzzles

Start from the beginning

Almost immediately after I placed the box back down on the wooden table top Devon immediately picked it back up, and I glared at him. He was clutching the cardboard box, his eyes searching the back like it was some sort of treasure map.

"Devon, gimme my box back." I grunted, going to make a grab for it. But before my fingers could brush the colorful cereal holder he yanked it back, not even sparing me a glance in his box eye-raping.

"Why, I'm reading it!" he hissed, his eyes slipping from the box to me, where he gave me a short glare.

In all honesty, he was right. He had it first, despite the fact that the box was mine to begin with. But my rude wake up call really put me in a bad mood, and waiting for him to finish was making me rather agitated...

"I don't care if you're reading it, you little buttmunch, it's my cereal box! I can't function without a morning of stupid puzzles and mediocre jokes!" I finally spazzed, lunging for the item of my affection like I was starving and he was holding a large roast duck. Technically, I was pretty hungry.

He held it right out of my reach, until I punched him in the stomach.

"Bitch, I was reading those. Now I'll never know why the Zebra liked corn." he muttered under his breath, and I searched the back for something of interest. There was absolutely nothing except the ingredients (like I would want to know the crap I'm putting into my body) and an ad for a competition some company was hosting. Apparently, if I collected one hundred tickets (one inside each box of cereal, kids!) I would receive a KoolKid Scooter.

"Where the hell is my crappy puzzle?" I shrieked indignantly, flipping the sides to see if they were joking. Nope. Nothing but the little contest crap.

I actually got up out of my seat and began jumping up and down angrily, stomping my feet like some child who didn't get the toy they had been expecting on Christmas. It was pathetic.

"You scare me sometimes." Dev admitted from behind me, and I turned to give him a withering glare. Then I broke down into tears.

These, unlike Lucy's, were wet, drip down your cheeks tears that made your head hurt from the insanity of it. I ran right into Devon's arms, sitting directly on his lap and shoving my face into his t-shirt.

"I-I just ha-hate it when t-they do those contests!" I blubbered, my whole form shaking and a massive headache starting to throb at my temple.

Devon, to say the least, was very very shocked. I don't think he ever anticipated this reaction out of me, and it clearly made no sense to him whatsoever. Join the fucking club. If I were him, I probably would have slapped me and told myself to get over it.

But unlike myself, Devon can be quite nice sometimes.

So he patted my shoulder comfortingly, ever going so far as to say 'It's okay, everything will be just fine.' in my ear like I had just an hour before to our little sister. My sad and upset mood lasted for about six minutes, and then I just got up from the seat, took a look at my brother with my puffy red eyes, and walked up to my bedroom.

I should have never gotten out of bed.

~########~

It was a couple hours later when mom came into the bedroom. She looked like she expected me to start screaming at her or something, but I merely smiled at her from my place on the bed and put down the book I had been reading for the past hour. I had already finished two other novels, and this one wasn't very good.

"Hey, are you coming to dinner tonight?" she asked hesitantly, and I smiled.

"Of course. Why wouldn't I?" I asked innocently, having decided earlier that if anyone brought up my meltdown than I would punch Dev, because there was no way they could know unless he told them. If that were the case, he was a dead man walking.