I looked at myself in the mirror one last time before returning to the dining room. Everything was ready. We just had to wait for Julian to arrive. I sat on the couch and at one point, considered texting him. But he wasn't late, so I decided not to bother. A few minutes later, I heard a knock at the door. I instantly got up to open it, but Callie seemed to beat me to it. She opened the door, only to have a a shocked look on her face at the first sight of him. Her mouth gaped slightly as she eyed him head-to-toe. I caught his gaze and laughed a bit. He returned with a quick smile.

"Hey," he said to Callie, holding out his hand. She took it delicately, a feeling of discomfort clouding over her. "I'm Julian."

"Yeah," Callie breathed out. She realized she was blocking the doorway and immediately moved to the side, her cheeks flushing red. "Sorry," she mumbled shyly.

"It's fine," he responded with a dapper smile. My mother saw him and rushed over, apron still on.

"Oh, Julian! It's so nice to finally meet you!" Her Italian ways taking over, my mom did a quick hug and kiss on each cheek. He smiled and awkwardly hugged back, obviously unsure of what to do in the situation. "I've heard so much about you! She never mentioned how handsome you are." She looked back at me as I blushed quietly.

"It's really a pleasure to meet you, Mrs. Shapiro. Thank you so much for letting me join you for dinner." My mom smiled.

"Well, don't thank me. It's a joy for us to have you!" All I could think was that Julian took a year's worth of English class before getting here, because he sounds pretty good. In literally one sentence he's managed to impress me. I walked over to him and gave him a hug.

"Thanks for coming," I whispered in his ear, "you're doing great."

"Am I?" He responded. I smiled and nodded. He gave me a quick peck on the lips.

Everything was going great during the dinner. He ate an entire plate of the baked ziti, which just thrilled my mom. Callie snapped out of her shyness once the topic of soccer was brought up. He answered all the questions nicely and was a real gentleman. And for a brief moment, I thought we could finally get through a single dinner with a boy that ended well.

"Would you grab the plates, Cal?" Mom asked as we finished. She threw a glare at her. "Please?" My mom added.

"Fuck your please," she snapped, "You can do it yourself." She began to storm back into her room.

"Cal!" I yelled, surprised at her triggered temper.

"Excuse me?" My mother said, her voice rising.

"You're always asking so much of me! I can't keep this secret any more!" She turned back around and slammed her door. I just glared at the door in shock. What is she even talking about? What secret?

"What has gotten into her lately?" I looked back at my mom, who just stared sadly at the door. "Mom?" Julian stood up in his seat and pushed his chair in, beginning to grab the plates.

"No, no, I've got it," I said, taking them from his hand.

"Let me," he replied, taking them back, "it's the least I could do." I stared at his sweet face in admiration. I really don't deserve him. He picked up my sisters plate and brought them to the sink in our tiny kitchen. He turned the faucet on, which is where I stopped him.

"No. I'll do it later," I said, turning it off. He stared deeply into my eyes, as if trying to search for so something. I look into his constantly changing hazel eyes. Green, then blue, then brown...

"Hey, I've gotta check on my sister," I said, breaking our eye contact. "Thanks so much for coming the last minute."

"Well, thank you for being available at the last minute," he replied with a smile.