Twelve - Unrecognized Hero

Start from the beginning

"Okay, stop. Don't begin with those 'what ifs', okay? Those never end well, you know that."

Lowering my eyes to my hands, I sit still. Xavier's face flashes before my eyes, the look of hurt in his eyes, the pale tinge in his skin, the confused frown ... 

"What if he doesn't want to be friends anymore?" I mumble to myself.

"Then it's his loss," dad says.

I roll my eyes, not comforted in the least. 

"Honey, look," dad says softly. "He probably just needs time to digest the fact that you know his secret. Whatever it is, I'm sure he'll come around. And if he doesn't, you can always try calling him to talk to him."

"Can I call him now?" I ask, looking up suddenly. 

"Give him time," dad insists. "Let him make sense of things. You owe him that." 

As much as I want to call Xavier and apologize, I know dad is right. I should give Xavier the time he needs. And yes, it's pretty freaking hard. My hand is already twitching towards my phone in my pocket. It won't hurt to send just a couple of messages now, would it? I could just send something like 'can we talk?' No, wait, that seems threatening. What if I just say 'hey?' That's harmless enough, right?

"Well?" dad asks me.

I blink a couple of times, brought out of my devious plans of going to my room, texting Xavier, and staring at the phone unblinkingly until I get a response. 

"Yes, dad," I say begrudgingly. 

"Good. Now come for food. It'll make you feel better."

"You know what else can make me feel better? You burning that ugly apron you're wearing," I say.

He laughs, walking towards the kitchen and I follow, my mind still with Xavier. I just hope he comes tonight. I don't know what I'll do if he doesn't.

*.*.*.*.*.*

You remember just a while ago I said I don't know what I'll do if Xavier doesn't come? Yeah, well, here's what I do -- I sit on the couch waiting like a pathetic little dog without a life.

Because he doesn't come.

"Haley?" dad calls from the kitchen, probably trying to get me to move. 

If I didn't know any better, I would think I'm a statue. But I know better, so I can tell you I'm not. I still haven't moved an inch since 7:30 pm, hoping the guy who has robbed me of my peace would be kind enough to show up. 

"Baby, give him time," dad says to me from across the living room. "He needs it."

I don't answer, not knowing what to say. How can people want to be alone when they're upset? I would rather be surrounded by a group of obnoxious people, grab a tub of ice-cream, and ugly-cry till they tell me to shut up. And Xavier wants to be alone? Isn't he tired of being alone? He's always alone.

The bell rings just as I glance at the clock. It's already past 9:45 and I wonder who it could be at this time of the night. Anybody who knows us knows my dad has a ten o'clock shut down policy. 

"Good evening, sir."

How many things can happen in a split second? I never really paid this question much attention, having thought 'probably not much'. Let me warn you, a lot can happen in one second.

His voice reaches my eardrums, goes to my brain, which goes into override, sending electricity through my entire body, making my heart stop and then start again at double speed, causing my lungs to blast out all the air inside them, and my legs to go numb. I jump to my feet, spin around, widen my eyes, gasp and nearly shout and jump at the same time, freezing again when I actually do see it is who I initially thought it was.