The Art of Timing

Blood poured from her skull, it felt thick and warm as it ran down her face. Her breathing was a simple pant as her heart rate slowed, she struggled to breathe as the blows continued to hit her body with hard thumps. 

"Dirty slut.. thought we wouldn't catch you." The words echoed in her ears loudly as another blow hit her head. 

'How did I get here?' was all she thought as she hung alone and helplessly. Being alone didn't scare her anymore, death wasn't even the scary part either, cause at this point she accepted it. They were going to kill her, and there was nothing she could do about it. Helpess... for the first time in years she was just that, helpless. 

14 years prior...

"What the fuck did I say to you?!" Her mother yelled at her as she dragged her arm.

"Where's my stuff?! Where the fuck is it?!" She screamed at her as she pulled her through the house holding her frail arm in her hand. 

It was sure to leave another mark like the other purple and blue marks that she bared on her arms, legs, ribs and face. 

"I told you, mama, I don't know." She cried. 

She pulled her to the sink and opened the cupboards, ripping them open and slamming them closed.

"Where is it? Where is it? Where is it!" Her mother chanted as she tore up the kitchen. 

"You don't even need anymore, mama." She said softly. 

In response a hard backhand hit her right cheek, making her fly into the stove. 

"You don't tell me what I need! You hear me!" Her mother yelled as she crouched down at grabbed the collar of her shirt and shook her. 

"I'm sorry! I'm sorry!" She pleaded with her mother. 

"Stupid little bitch." Her mom said through clenched teeth before returning to her search for her bottle of Jack Daniels. 

Her mother wasn't always like this, the once beautiful Daniela Samson was taller than most women standing 6" solid. She use to be thin, but healthy with hopes for a successful modelling career. Her skin was as dark as ebony as the night sky, and she was as smooth as satin.  But once she met Christiano Rodriguez things changed. She got pregnant, and he too being  a model couldn't stop his life to take care of a child. So, she was stuck, once Sage was born her body didn't snap back like other people. The weight remained til she developed balemia trying to lose the weight. 

Her depression deepened and everytime she looked at Sage's light chocolate skin, the color of rich caramel and light brown eyes, and full pink lips, she thought of Christiano. Although she was a happy baby, it wasn't enough for Daniela. She turned to alcohol and became addicted. Now at the age of 9 years old, here she was search for refuge in a bottle she didn't realize she had finished, and once again, Sage was the one who took the blows. 

Sage quickly took the oppertunity to get out of the house. She stood on her toes and undid the latches before running out without even looking back to close the door. She dashed to the staircases and ran upstair to the roof of her building. The warm summer air welcomed her with open arms. She took deep breaths as she held back her tears. 

"No more crying. No more crying." She chanted to herself as she sat by the edge of the roof watching the traffic roll by. She wondered where all those people were going, and if she'd ever be able to go with them. Ever be able to have a car, have friends, be somebody. 

"Is she having another episode?" She heard a voice say behind her.

She didn't flinch by the surprise, the voice had become a sound of comfort.