READY OR NOT

Ember's pain was skyrocketing. She knew that the twins were coming. Whether she was ready or not. The young gypsy girl that had been caring for her was with her. Grigorii had allowed her to stay with her to help.

"After all, I can't let you die, now can I? Not when you haven't served you purpose yet." His words had sent chills down her spine. No, he had no intention of letting her leave this place alive. Ember felt tears roll down her cheeks. She regretted that she wouldn't have eternity with Mikhail. She wouldn't get to see her babies grow up. She wouldn't get to see them claim their mates. There was a whole life full of firsts that she was going to miss. She was quietly sobbing when Arianna walked in with an armful of linens to use during the birth. 

Seeing her charge crying, she hushed her while walking  to the window. "We need fresh air. It's horribly stuffy in here. Don't you think?" No sooner than the window was opened, than a dove flew in and landed on Arianna's shoulder. Holding out her finger the little bird hopped to it. That's when Ember realized there was something was tied to the bird's leg.

She watched as the gypsy girl removed the item from the bird's leg. Whatever was in the note must have made her happy, because she started smiling. Looking at Ember, she spoke words that Ember had been dying to hear. "They are on their way. The attack will begin any minute, and Your Majesty? The king is aware that you are in labor and is working to get you safely out of here. There is an elf, a rather large elf, coming to take us to a safe place for you to deliver the babies." Ember and Arianna held each other as tears of joy flowed.

The door to the room was suddenly flung against the wall. In the doorway was the largest elf she had ever seen. "Your Majesty, I am here to take you to safety. The king is downstairs fighting Grigori's men, and wishes that I keep you safe during your delivery." Without waiting for answer, Aelfdane walked to the bed and picked up Ember wrapped up in her blankets. Arianna followed him out of the room. 

When Ember groaned in pain, Aelfdane spoke softly to her. 'My Queen, you must be quiet. If we are to get you out of here before the birth, then we cannot alert Grigorii's men to your rescue. Please, milady, please try." He hated asking the fragile queen anything of the sort. But, in order for them to make it out safely, quiet was best. Just as they reached the foot of the massive staircase, one of Grigori's men noticed them.

"Stop, Elf! You can not leave with the queen!" His shout to gain attention was, thankfully, lost in the sounds of the battle. It had even hurt Ember and Arianna's ear's. The din was incredible. Supernaturals roared, hissed, growled and screamed(the werecats). The sounds of swords clanking against each other and armour. It was all very loud. Aelfdane was scanning the crowds, ooking for potential threats to them, when he heard a quiet groan and thud behind them. Turning to look, he was in complete shock. One of the feral vampires that Grigori used was lying on the floor with a dirk sticking out of his heart. He quickly looked up at the young gypsy girl and smirked. 

"Not now, Elf! My queen is about to deliver and we must get her out of her. In the back of the house is a dock. Grigori always has a boat tied up there. Maybe we can use it to escape." Without waiting for a reply, she turned and fled towards the back of the house and the docks.

Laying Ember in the boat as gently as possible, Aelfdane  pushed the boat away from the docks and let out a high pitched whistle. What Ember saw next would had held her enthralled if she had been in any condition to pay attention. The mermen were blue with gills on their neck which closed off so they could breath air. 

"You will be taken to an isolated island, Aelfdane, and guarded with all of our lives. These children and the Queen are too important to risk traveling. Our healer is waiting. Sit down and hold on, we will be traveling very fast, and I would hate to lose you, my friend." Smirked one of the mermen.

It wasn't long before they reached the small secluded island. Aelfdane reached down and picked up his queen to carry her. When he did, he noticed the cover she was bundled in was wet and pink. Arianna gasped in fear. "We must hurry Elf. My queen is trying to hold back her labor, until we are safe. She needs to deliver these twins now! Move it!"

Hurrying, he jumped to shore and ran as best he could, holding Ember. Spotting a large fire with a ring of elves and what he suspected was merfolk milling about. When they were spotted, the elves and merpeople snapped into action. A beautifully ethereal female reached for his queen and laid her on the ground. As Arianna could only watch, the merwoman healer placed her hands on either side of Ember's face and began to sing in a soft voice. The song had no words, but was enchanting, none the less. It was powerful and seemed to quieten the Queen and settle her. 

Leaning over her, the woman whispered something in Ember's ear and suddenly the air was filled with pain-filled scream. The healer knelt between Ember's legs to catch the babies as they wee delivered. As soon as the first was born, she looked at Arianna, and said, "Come, as you have been chosen by them to be their guardians it is up to you to care for them." 

In shocked silence, Arianna took the newborn from the healer and began to clean her. The wee babe made no sound, just watched Arianna with an eerie calm, as if she was studying her. Suddenly, another pain-filled scream rent the air as the heir was born. This one was handed to Aelfdane as the healer told him the same thing she had told Arianna. 

After having delivered the babies, the merwoman healer began the task of cleaning Ember up. While the woman cleaned her with sweet smelling soap, one of the merfolk came and burned the afterbirth, disposing of it, so as not to draw any wild animals. Once she was cleaned and dressed, Ember was propped up against a large fallen log and wrapped in clean blankets, then handed her children.