MEETING THE FAMILY

Susan sat across from Ember and chatted briefly. Her grief was still very raw. Today had been her mother's burial. She felt so raw. She wished that she had a distraction. It wasn't that Ember wasn't trying, she just didn't know how to deal with her. Just as she was getting up to look out of the windows, the double doors opened and three large, powerfully built men walked in. Susan didn't hesitate to walk right into Dumitri's arms. She knew he had felt her emotions. That's something that all mates could do, was be empathetic towards each other.

The young man with Dumitri and MIkhail was as long and powerfully built as they were, but something stood out about him. He was young and he was not a vampire. Susan gasped when she realized that this young was related in some way to Ember. Mikhail had moved across the room to stand next to his mate and take her in his arms. Ember briefly looked up at him and gave him a beautiful smile. The young man that had entered the room with the two male vampires spoke then.

"It's plain to see by anyone who cared to look how loved you are, Ember. There's no doubt in my mind that you are well cared for." Ember took the time to look over the young man, realizing that there was something familiar about him.

"I'm sorry. Have we met?" Ember was constantly aware of her station as Queen and knew that there were types of behavior that was expected of her. Extreme politeness was one of them. She frowned as she looked at him.

"I'm sorry to say that we have not. Allow me to introduce myself."Thrusting out his hand, he did just that. "My name is Caleb," Ember noticed that the young man looked to her mate, as if waiting for an answer. At his nod, the young man looked down at her, smiled and continued. What he said next almost knocked Ember off of her feet. Would have, at least, if Mikhail had not been holding her up. "And I'm your brother."

"How?" She asked the only thing that seemed to be able to speak.

"Our dad. It seems that he loved your mother, but she was not his mate. Not long after you were conceived, our father met my mother. She was his real mate. She didn't want him to leave you, but you were an embarrassment. Were's are not supposed to be able to sire young with human, unless they are mates. The only way is if your mom has were heritage. Dad said he always believed it was your granddad. He told me that he remembered your mom telling him that even at the age of 50, he looked no older than 25 or 30. He disappeared one day. No explanation, he just disappeared. Speculation was that he never told your grandmother he was a were, and when he stopped aging, he panicked. Anyway, when mom passed away last year, dad followed almost right behind her. I was going through some of dad's thing when I found some documents. They were old bank statements were dad had sent maintenance payments. Along with them, I found old letters and photos of you. When I realized who you were, I set about to find you. It's taken me almost five months of searching. This is a large city and finding you was like looking for a needle in a haystack. It didn't help that  you mate is the freaking vampire king and you are guarding like treasure." 

"That's because she is, boy!" Mikhail growled.

"Mikhail, please. Let us speak." Ember tried and failed to squash a yawn. She knew that once he knew she was tired, he would push for her to rest. She counted the seconds in her head. He didn't disappoint. In less than three seconds, she was scooped up and cradled against Mikhail's chest. Giggling, she looked at her newfound brother and smiled. "it appears it's time for my nap. We'll talk again soon. I promise, and Mikhail won't make me break it. Stick around. We have plenty of room." Resting her head against his chest, Ember allowed her mate to carry her to their room and put her to bed. She was asleep before he even laid her down. Mikhail kissed his sweet mate on the forehead and left the room, walking by the guard posted at their suite entrance. "No one disturbs her, understand?" Without waiting for a reply, he turned to go back down to where their guest was.

When Mikhail left the room, Caleb felt a little uneasy. The only people left in the room were the vampire king's second and his mate. Who choose to speak. "You're Ember's brother, huh? It's a shame you didn't know about her eight months ago. She went through hell when her mom died of cancer. Then the man that she loved like a father was murdered. That girl needs some family. She's been alone too long." Just as Susan finished speaking, the vampire king himself entered the room. 

"I apologize for the interruption, but the twins really tire Ember out. She's carrying hybrid children and is still very human. She sleeps and eats a lot. Unfortunately, she can't be turned because of the twins."

Caleb looked at Mikhail in something like shock. "Twins? Did you say twins? My sister is having two babies?"

"Boy, is there something wrong with your hearing! He said twins. Now, get a hold of yourself. We have to figure out a way to not only protect our mates and children. But, we need to figure out a way to lure Mikhail's uncle. We'll fill you in on that situation and then maybe you can give us a fresh perspective." Dumitri tucked his own mate into his side and held her tightly. He knew that the current situation would not help the raw state of her emotions.