SURPRISE!!!!!

Ember lay in the large comfortable bed that Mikhail's uncle had provided. She didn't kid herself that he cared about her comfort. No, he merely wanted her to be taken care of until the twins were born. She knew that beyond a doubt, she would die as soon as they were born. She also  knew that this man was insane. He burned with the fire of revenge. He also didn't care if her mate found them. In fact, he was hoping for that very thing. He had already admitted that as soon as Mikhail found her, a knife would be plunged into her heart. He had taunted her, telling her that he had left just enough clues to make Mikhail struggle to find them. 

Ember watched as a servant and a guard brought her a tray of food. Grigori had assured her that none of the food was poisonous. "After all, what would it gain me to poison you, when I want to use the sight of you dying to my advantage?" 

Sitting up, the servant placed the tray across her lap and nodded. The young girl, no more than 18 or 19, wouldn't look at her. Probably afraid to make eye contact. There's no telling what Grigori has told the staff. Realizing that the girl was lingering, Ember looked up and made eye contact. The girl nodded and whispered, "He's coming soon," then turned and left the room. The interaction had shaken Ember, badly. She knew what it must have cost the girl to speak to her. Let alone spy for her mate. Unless, he had a spy in his uncle's home. That made a lot of sense when Ember thought about it. It gave him access to his uncle and kept tabs on his movements.  What had made it hard was that his uncle had dropped off the face of the planet with no trace. Even his spies had not known where he was.

Watching them, apparently. Ember felt her spirits lift. He love was coming for her. In the mean time, she just had to keep watch. Just as she was thinking a cramp began in her lower back. She said nothing to no one. The maid who had brought her food would be back soon to take the tray and then return to help her shower. She would tell her to get a message to MIkhail to hurry.

***********************************************************************************************

"I just got word. Ember's safe. For the moment. He plans to kill her in front of me. The old gypsy woman and her daughter are taking care of her. My uncle doesn't even have a clue that I have spies in his household and have for years. The old fool is so crazed for revenge over something that happened almost 700 years ago. Something that his own actions help to cause."

Dumitri sat across the room holding Susan, his mate, in his lap. The look of intense hatred crossed his face. "I've never trusted him, my friend. Something about him always seemed to make my hair stand on end. I know what happened. he was partially to blame. But yet, he chooses to ignore the facts surrounding the incident with Elaina all those years age."

Just as Dumitri finished speaking, a bird flew through the open window and landed on Mikhail's shoulder. Looking at the bird, Dumitri arched a brow and asked, "Friend of yours?"

"Yes. As a motter of fact, he is. This little dove is a messenger. It's how I have communicated with Arianna and Selina. They send a male dove with a message. I send a message back with a grey dove." Gently guiding the dove onto his finger he lowered him to a perch standing a few feet away. Attached to the little bird's leg was a note. It must have been bad news becase Mikhail hissed in what could only been called rage. Dumitri guessed that he was afraid to let out the roar of anger that his friend knew was building. Then he said the words that they all dreaded to hear. Knowing that was it was over, so was Ember's life. "The babies are coming."

"I'm going with you." From the open doorway, in walked a rather large young man. "No, Caleb. You're the only person I trust to guard Susan. Besides, we may need you for backup. If we don;t come back by nightfall, we need someone to get Susan out of the country and then come back for the babies. Even if something happens and I am dead, I will not allow my uncle to raise my children!" Mikhail spoke openly in front of his friend's mate. She knew what was going on. They  kept no secrets from each other.

"No, Mikhail...." Before Susan could say anything else a loud pounding began on their suite door. Cautiously, Mikhail opened and was stunned by what he saw. Standing in front of their door was a large group of supernaturals. As he looked over the crowd, he saw fae, werewolves, werecats, werebears, vampires and even some witches. Upon seeing them, he and Dumitri as well as Caleb growled.

Just then, a large fae male. ethereally beautiful, stepped forward. Mikhail's growl deepened. "Easy, Vampire King. We are not here to cause trouble. We know why you are here and we have come to help. Because your mate is also our Queen. She is unique in the supernatural world. She is still human and is carrying two fully vampire babies. This is unheard of. Usually the mother has died by now. She usually dies within 24 hours of conception. The blood of the father is always too strong and like the predator he is, it tries to overtake the mother's blood and change her. The fact that this has not happened makes you queen very special indeed. It appears, vampire king, that your mate is the one to unify all of the races. So, we came to help liberate her from your uncle's hand."

Mikhail stood there dumbfounded. He truly was at a loss for words. It was Susan who smoothed over the introductions. Stepping forward, she offered the male her hand. "We thank you for coming. You help is most welcome. My friend has many supporters, it seems. If you will follow me, we will go inside to let you men discuss what needs to be done. But, be warned, we must move quickly. Your queen is believed to be in labor, and with that news, her life expectancy drops. Do you understand......"

"I apologize, my name is Aelfdane. My friends are here to help. We knew the queen was in labor. We felt the shift in the atmosphere. If you will allow, Your Majesty, we have a plan in place, and have for some time now. In fact, if everything goes accordingly, no one should die, except your uncle, that is."

Looking at the elf, Mikhail felt something akin to incredulous wonder. The whole of the supernatural realm was ready to fight for his mate. It seemed that they were prepared to love her and serve her. A human. It was unheard of. The only time this had happened before was back a thousand years before when another vampire king had fallen in love with a human after his true mate had died.