WAITING FOR THINGS TO HAPPEN

Ember was miserable. The twins were due any time now. She was so big that she had to have help getting around. And her emotions. Her emotions were all over the place. She would cry one minute and laugh the next. She honestly couldn't wait for these babies to be born. She was not just ready to hold her children. She was ready to have a normal life again. Well, as normal a life as a parent could have. She groaned as she walked to the door of her suite. Opening her door, she knew a guard would be there waiting to help her get to wherever she wanted to go.

Mikhail, in a fit of impatience, tossed his pen on his desk. He was so tired. They had looked everywhere for his uncle. It's like he had disappeared off of the face of the planet. He knew that was impossible, but it seemed like the man had genuinely vanished.What terrified Mikhail was the fact that he knew that his uncle was aware of the pregnancy and the fact that it was twins. 

Just then, Dumitri walked in to his office. "My friend, how do you fight, let alone, capture an enemy that, for all intents and purposes, is invisible? Our men have looked everywhere. Caleb has had his pack looking. All of the supernaturals in this city iareunder order to report anyone out of place. So far, we have investigated about 300 new residences, 45 of which were supernaturals. 30 of those were vampires. The 30 are the ones we need to keep an eye on. I feel it in my gut. There's someone in that group that has some kind of attachment to my uncle. We just have to dig a little deep to find out." Releasing a heavy sigh, Mikhail leaned back and closed his eyes.

A loud terrified sounding scream had him jumping up out of his chair. He and Dumitri ran to where the scream had come from. As they exited the house to the backyard, Mikhail noticed several things at once. 

His uncle's scent was the most prominent after his mate. The smell of blood had him growling and his fangs lowering. The blood had come form Ember's guard. The gaping hole in his chest was obviously the death wound. It looked like his heart had been literally ripped form his chest. 

"Ember! Ember! Where are you! Answer me, Ember!" Mikhail felt cold grip his heart with each passing second. Hearing a noise behind him, he turned quickly, hissing and growling. 

Standing about three feet away were his best friend and his mate's brother. Both held up their hands in a placating motion. But, it was Dumitri that spoke. "Easy, my friend. It's just us. We need you to calm down. If you go feral, we may never find her." 

Mikhail took several deep, cleansing breathes. Realizing his friend was right, he did his best to calm himself down. As he began to calm down, he started noticing things. There was footprints heading away form the stone patio. They were sunk in, like they were carrying something heavy. Not only that, he managed to catch the scent of the vampire that obviously helped his uncle. When he realized who it was, he growled. Loudly.

"Bring her to me! At Once!" Mikhail stomped off, only to pace back and forth once he reached his office. He fumed as he remembered the saleslady from the boutique. She had seemed too forward for him. If he had not had a mate, he didn't think that he would have found her attractive. There had been something about her that had made the hair on the back of his neck stand up. Oh how he wished he had paid attention to that. Just as he was wondering what was taking his friend so long, there was a knock on his door.

When Dumitri entered, he was carrying a bound and gagged female vampire. One who was very angry, if the sounds coming from were any indication. Good. Soon enough, that anger will turn to terror. If she was smart. Setting her on her feet in front of him, Dumitri removed the gag from the  woman's mouth. Mistake!

"You misbegotten excuse for a male! How dare you take, bound and gagged! Where have you brought too!" Mikhail had heard enough of the woman's screeching.

"Enough!!!" Hearing his power radiate through his voice, the woman turned in his direction and blinked somewhat owlishly. realizing who had spoken, she tried a feminine tactic. She smiled and softened her voice. Her purring nauseated  him when she spoke.

"Your Majesty. How are you? It has been some time."

"Woman, have lost our mind. Do you honestly think that I'm going to entertain your foolishness. You helped someone take my mate. My very pregnant mate. Pregnant with my heirs. Both of them. Is what I'm telling you sinking in you empty-headed quim!!!! Do you have any idea of your life expectancy? If you don't start talking now, I will personally remove your head from your shoulders. Now, speak!"

The woman was shocked. She thought that his mate had died and that the girl was just his concubine. Some supernaturals still had them after many unsuccessful years of searching for a mate. That's what she had been told. "I was asked to help him take you concubine, so that your mate might be noticed by you. Please, Your Highness. I was lied to. I was wronged just as you were. Please spare me, My Lord!"

"Tell me where he plans to take her and I will consider it." Mikhail leaned down and got close to the woman's face so she could hear the continuous growls rolling out of his chest. She flinched, frightened.

"He said he was going to take her to his home. She would give birth and he would claim the babies, so that your mate would not be deterred from accepting you." She shivered in fright as she watched the large vampire king's eyes turn red.

"Take her to the cells. Make sure that she is not mistreated. As far as I can tell, her only crime was being naive and having poor judgement." Justine breathed a sigh of relief. This was so much better than being beheaded or having her heart ripped from her chest. 

"Woman, a word. If, once I find my mate, it's discovered that you are lying, you death will not be pleasant. Do you understand?" At her hesitant nod, he dismissed her, and a guard took her away.

"Mikahail, are we going to Romania?" Dumitri asked his friend. 

"No. We're going to Denmark. That's where his home is. He'll be expecting us. He knows that I will come for her. The babies, too. But mostly, for her. Without, I will be uncontrollable. Feral beyond belief."