14

he was mad, i could tell. "yeah well do you know what it's like getting crushed by your horse just six weeks before WFR, laying in a bed waiting for answers? no!" i was angry too. "shane, just leave." i said holding back my tears. "fine. mase, if that's what you really want. sorry for holding you back." he said and turned around to walk away. i heard his truck start and the gravel turn as he drove down the drive. i turned to put wrangler back in his stall, just my luck i trip and fall. and a part of me quickly looked for shane to be right there to pick me up, but he wasn't. i cried, and cried, and cried. i was angry. i was angry that i got hurt, angry that shane kept holding me back and angry that it was getting harder and harder to get back to riding. i sat there for a while until my mom came out looking for me. "kyler?" she hollered down the barn. "down here." i answered back. "oh honey! are you okay?" she rushed over to me. "i'm fine," i sniffled and whipped my eyes. mom sat down next to me, "what is it hon?" she questioned. "i just don't get why this happened to me? out of everyone? i do everything right, i train all the time and work hard." i laid into her arms, " and shane, he's just so perfect. i hate it, he ceres so much about me and i pushes him away," i said. "every little detail in your life is apart of God's great plan, you might not see it now but trust me it'll come." she smiled at me. "mom," i looked up at her, "what's up?" she was wiped my hair that was stuck to my dry tears out of my face. "i want to run at worlds, i have to. i can't just let all that training go to waste." i said to her. she looked concerned and for a second i fears her response, "honey, i can't promise anything but i will work with you in whatever way to help you get there." she kissed my forehead. "now let's get you up and inside," she stood up and helped me up. man did it hurt, i really didn't think a little trip like that could make me so sore. i make it up to my bedroom and my phone rings, "shane" it reads. every inch of my body dreading to pick it up, the one ounce of me not refusing taps the accept button. "he-hello?" i say. there was a silence, "shane? hello?" i started to get worried. i heard a slight cough in the background, "mase?" shane's voice sounded weak. "shane?! are you okay?" i'm now alert and suddenly forget everything that happened. "mase, i wrecked my truck. i don't really know where i am, some ditch down a back road." he sounds like he just smoked a pack of cigarettes and is running on zero sleep. "shane! ok, ok hold tight i'll be right there." i hung up the phone and called for my dad. "dad! dad!" i yelled down stairs. he comes running up the stairs, "what is it?" he's frantic. "shane, shane's been in an accident and he doesn't know where he's at, dad, we have to find him." by this point i'm almost hysterical, i feel awful, sick to my stomach. "okay, come on." he helped me down the stairs and into the truck, before i could even think straight we were down some dirt road. "look!" i cried out whipping away tears, "tired marks!" i yelled. my dad pulls over the truck, "wait here," he insists. "n-," i try to say no but he stopped me, "kyler-maisynn stay in the truck." i watch as my dad disappears into the brush.