10 (shane)

i walked down the front steps and over to the barn to get river, i attached my truck to the trailer and loaded river up to head down to the fair grounds. i felt awful for leaving her better yet saying that in front of her. i pulled out of her front gate and drove down the road.

i pulled up to the fair grounds and tacked up river and walked over to the arena where they were announcing final times and winners. they were just about to get started when jessica rode up. "she-" i stopped her before she could say anymore. "jessica i don't want to hear it." i snapped at her. "just because your girlfriend messed herself up doesn't mean you have to be rude." she said back. "you know what jessica this is why we broke up, you don't care about anyone but yourself. kyler is in some pretty bad shape and she had the WFR in four weeks and now can't compete. you wouldn't understand because you don't know what it's like to work for something and have it stripped away in an instant." i couldn't hold it in much longer i was over her attitude. "whatever" she laughed and rode away.
the announcer soon came on and started to begin. "before we get started here folks let's say a nice prayer for the tucker family through this hard time they're dealing with." the whole stadium got quiet. "now let's start with the pole benders.." he went trough and named off all placings. "okay now for our ropers. first place champion buckle goes to... shane layken on river with a average time of 4.6!" i walked river and i put to the middle of the arena and shook the chairman's hand and took a picture. i walked out of the arena to see my mom and dad and little brother waiting for me. "nice job son." my dad said. "how's kyler-maisynn?" my mom asked, "she's back at home, really bad concussion with some stitches, a shattered ankle with a couple plates and screws and a broke wrist with a plate and screw." told her. "i'm sorry honey i know you must be worried." she said to me. "i am." i added. "can i play with colby-wayne?" cannon asked, "not right now buddy." i told him. "i'm gonna stay for barrels just to listen and see, you never know." i told my mom, "yeah of course honey." her, my dad, and cannon walked to the truck to head home. "okay ladies and gentlemen we're going to announce the barrel racing places. under strict analysis, the first place champion buckle goes to miss kyler-maisynn with wrangler who unfortunately can't be here with us today." i damn near flew out of my seat, this was awesome i can't wait to bring this to her! i offered to take the buckle to her and the chairman thought it was a great idea. the mood was great until, "excuse me but how is that possible she didn't even complete her last run, better yet knocked a barrel!" jessica blurted out. everyone turned their heads toward her in disgust. "are you serious right now? if i recall you also knocked barrel and it wasn't even with an accident, it was your own fault! kyler ran faster times this whole serious than you!" i was so angry at the fact that she had the audacity to say that. "look here jessica you're gonna shut your mouth and learn to lose when daddy can't buy it for you!" i walked out of the arena to my truck and trailer and loaded river up. i went home to put river in her stall and unhook the trailer. i walked inside and my mom had dinner on the table. "hey honey," my mom said to me as i walked in the door and kicked off my boots. "did she place?" she asked. "yeah she got first." i walked past the table and into my room. my mom followed me back. "everything okay?" she asks. "yeah," i rolled over. "talk to me." she pleaded. "i'm sick of jessica acting like she's better than everyone, she has no sympathy whatsoever!" i snapped. "i know i know, i'm sorry she's like that." she said. "but you can't let her keep you from eating so dinner table, now." she added. "fine." i huffed. after dinner i called mase, "hey beautiful" i said as she picked up a he phone. "beautiful is the last thing i am right now." she said back. "impossible." i insisted. "hey so look i'm gonna come by tomorrow cause i have something for you, is that okay?" i asked. "i mean it's not like i'm going anywhere anytime soon, soooo sure!" she laughed, hearing her laugh made me smile so very big, "alright i'll see you tomorrow." i said. "okay." we hung up the phone. i rolled over in bed and fell asleep, i thought about seeing mase tomorrow and how i would bring her, her buckle and maybe some flowers.