"Yeah I think it is okay to miss someone. But I don't think it's okay to let missing them get in the way if your everyday life." I answered with a similar answer that my old therapist used to give me when I'd ask the same question.

"Thank you Ash." Luke yawned.

"For what?" I continued to stare at the ceiling.

"Everything." He whispered and was asleep in seconds.

I had too many nightmares to sleep much but as long as Luke was sleeping alright, I was fine with that.

...

I awoke with a start and couldn't remember where I was but once I recognized the band posters last night came flooding back to me. Luke showing up in my backyard, trying to do the right thing for him, and his mum letting me stay. I was accustom to getting up before Luke to leave in the mornings but today I could use the front door. I slowly climbed from the bed and made sure Luke was still sleeping before I left the room. He looked so peaceful and calm while he was asleep but I knew he too would have to awake to the world that is.

I did my best to hurry down the stairs to avoid Luke's mom but she was sitting at the dining room table clutching a cup if coffee. I took a deep breath in preparation for what she was about to say but my heart was pounding out of my chest.

"Please, have a seat Ashton. I think we got off to a bit of a bad start." She gestured towards the table and I sat at the opposite end.

"Look I'm sorry about last night. Luke was crying and I thought it would be best if I just brought him home." I defended myself, again.

"Where are you from?" She asked, avoiding the subject.

"Australia." I sighed.

"Why so far from home?" She pressed and I felt myself tense at her words.

"My mom moved here for work." I lied.

"And your dad?" I felt like screaming or puking, either one.

"H-he's dead." I stammered.

"I see. Well I'm sorry for your loss but as you probably already know, we've had a loss of our own and Luke is very fragile still. What I'm trying to say Ashton is this, Luke needs to focus on what's important and getting into trouble and having his heart broken is not what is important." She explained and I felt my heart wrenching at every word.

"With all due respect Mrs. Hemmings, I know I'm not good enough for your son I'll admit that." Her face softened but I continued. "But hurting him is not in my plans. He's the first thing in my life in a really long time to make me happy and if I have to bust my ass everyday to prove to him I can be what he deserves, then I will do that." I said and stood up from the table.

"He will realize it soon enough." She shrugged and sipped her coffee. I've had plenty of people in my life tell me I wasn't good enough but this was a different situation. Someone was trying to keep me from something I needed.

Luke isn't just a high school crush, he's something I need in my life. I live for his sarcastic comments and the way he sounds so intelligent when he speaks. I need the way he is so smart at math and is doing his best to help me out. I need the way I forget everything when I'm with him. I need Luke.

I don't know how I made it home because my head was swirling and I felt like my heart would explode at any moment. My legs kept pushing me until I reached my room. I sat down on the edge of the bed and put my head in my hands. This isn't easy to feel. I missed when I couldn't feel at all but then again I like the fighting. Not the fighting with Luke's mum but the fighting for something I knew I needed in my life.

"Ashton are you alright?" Karen's sweet voice asked from my doorway. I looked up to her with glossy eyes and did my best to hold in my tears as she moved to sit next to me.

"How do I prove I'm good enough for someone?" I asked with my voice cracking miserably.

"Oh honey, you are good enough for anyone. You are smart, funny, talented and you have a really big heart. I've been here through all those troubled times but look at you now." She rubbed my back soothingly.

"I'm still trouble." I said.

"No Ashton you are not. I believe you've finally found your anchor." She said and I turned to look at her.

"My what?" I questioned, wiping away a few stray tears.

"Your anchor. The person that keeps you grounded and makes you want to be better than you already are. Just don't get down on yourself dear. I know things haven't been smooth sailing but I believe things are going to turn around for you." Karen explained and I felt something I hadn't felt in a long time; hope.

"Thank you Karen." I hugged her tightly. She was all the mother I have anymore and I knew I needed her too.

"I love you like my own Ashton, remember that. I'm always here for you and things will turn around soon." She patted my shoulder and turn to walk out of the room. "Fight for him Ashton." She winked then was gone.

I fell back onto my bed with a deep sigh. Day one of combat began today and I wouldn't stop fighting for Luke until I proved to him I was here to stay.

>>>>
Sorry this is late but it's here.

Ashton is taking his dad's advice a little huh?

Things are gonna develop but the next couple chapters will be a bit more relaxed..

I'm sorry Liz is being such a bitch haha but I wanted a protective parent somewhere ;)

Until I update again :)