*28* Beating Heart - Ellie Goulding

Start from the beginning

Then all of the sudden, I could hear shrieks from inside.

I jumped forward and sprinted into the terrifying house. Those screams were horribly recognizable.

As I leapt up the stairs and turned into the main room upstairs, my worst fears came true. All of my friends were laying in a pool of blood, dead, in the middle of the room. Their bodies looked horribly tortured and mangled. I could barely look. But I scanned over everybody enough to notice that Jack was missing from the pile. I thought he had dodged the bullet for a second, until I heard his scream from downstairs.

I ran downstairs just in time to see his throat slit by a demonic creature.

And now that demonic creature was lunging towards me.

I was shaken awake in a puddle of sweat. Tangled up in all of the blankets, I was as tense as possible. I could feel the tears streaming down my face. As everything came into focus, I saw Jack leaning over me, concern in his eyes.

"What was it?" he asked, knowing it was a nightmare.

I just let out a wrangled sob and jumped up. I wrapped my arms around him, buried my face in his neck, and cried. He just rubbed my back and whispered, "Sh, sh. It's okay now. Everything's alright now."

"Y-you, you, you were," I cried, but I couldn't get anything out.

"I was what?" he asked, "I was hurt?"

I shrugged, and he asked, "I was killed?"

I gave him a short nod and buried myself in his bare chest again.

"Oh, sweetie," he said, "I'm fine. See? I'm all good."

"I can't lose you," I mumbled so soft that I wasn't sure that he heard it.

After a little bit of silence, he asked, "Was it... That house?"

I nodded and he pulled me in even closer, "Oh. I still have nightmares about that. I couldn't believe what I saw there. But we're fine now."

"How do you know?" I asked, shaking my head.

He sighed, then said, "I don't know for sure. Is there anything I can do to help you feel better?"

I said, "Stay here. Just stay."

He smiled, "I'm not going anywhere. I'll just be a few feet away."

I shook my head and patted the couch next to me, "No. On the couch. At least just hold me until I fall asleep peacefully this time."

"You sure?" he asked, as I nodded.

Then he crawled up right next to me and gingerly placed his arm around me. But that wasn't good enough. I pulled myself on top of him, and he let out a muffled grunt, not expecting that. I held onto him, and eventually he tightly wrapped his arms around me. I looked up at him and he gave me a huge grin. I smiled back and nuzzled into the crook of his neck. That's how I fell asleep.

I woke up slowly, the light from the window shining bright enough to wake me up. I tried to get up, but I was still held tightly in Jack's arms. Turning just my head, I looked at him. He was fast asleep. Funny, what everybody says is true, that you do look younger when you're asleep. I tried to gently pull myself up from him, which didn't quite work. He moaned and slowly opened his eyes.

"Sorry," I said, "I didn't mean to wake you up."

"Don't worry about it," he replied groggily.

I grabbed my phone from the side table, and turned it on. 9:46. And 7 missed calls from Mom. Not good, not good at all.

I leapt up, accidentally smacking Jack right across the face.

"Oh, sorry!" I exclaimed, frantically trying to find the clothes I wore the night before.

"It's fine, I'm fine," he said, "it helped me wake up. What's the problem?"

"My parents had no idea where I was last night! They are going to kill the both of us!" I nearly screamed at him.

He jumped up and started searching for my clothes with me, muttering, "Shit shit shit," under his breath.

"Wait," he said, "I think you left them in my room."

We both sprinted upstairs, only to meet his older sister, Paxton, at the top.

"Seriously Jack?" she said, annoyed, "can't you keep your horny self clean just for one night? I seriously hope you used protection..."

"We don't have time for this!" Jack yelled at his sister and shoved past her. I followed, less aggressively.

As I stepped through the door, Jack chucked my clothes to me and nearly shoved me into the bathroom. I don't think I've ever changed faster in my life.

When I was just about to leave his house, my mom called again. I hesitantly answered.

"Mom?" I asked.

"Camara? We've been worried sick! We thought you were kidnapped or something! Where are you?" my mom asked.

"Umm..." I said, not sure what to say.

"Is that your mom on the phone?" Jack asked from behind me.

"Wait a second," my mom's voice was getting angrier, "are you at a boy's house?"

"Well..."

"Camara Amethyst Hawkins! Did you sleep with a boy?" my mom yelled.

"Well, technically, sort of, but not in that-" I started, but I was interrupted.

"I cannot believe you, young lady! You will be back home in ten minutes. And, you know what? Bring that boy with you. We are going to have a discussion."

And with that, she hung up.

"Camara?" Jack asked tentatively, "what happened? You look like you've seen a ghost."

"My parents want me home now. They're pissed," I told him.

"Ok...?"

"And they want you there with me. For a 'discussion'. That's never good."

His eyes widened, and his face paled, "I have to?" he asked.

I nodded, "Yes. It'll be worse if you aren't there."

He nodded then hurriedly went upstairs and changed. A few minutes later, he came back down in a t-shirt, jeans, and his Ray-bans.

"Is this okay to meet your parents?" he asked.

"I think as long as you're wearing clothes, they won't care. Actually, no matter what, I think they'll care," I told him as we got into my truck.

When we pulled up in my driveway, I gave him a nervous look.

He took my hand in his, and said, "Don't worry. We did nothing wrong."

I nodded as we got out and stepped up to the porch.

"For good luck," Jack said, then leaned in and gave me a quick peck on the lips.

I took a deep breath, turned the doorknob, and pushed open the door. Standing there were my angry looking mom and dad, and Kalli. Wow. They got Kalli involved in this?

"Explain. Now." my dad growled.