Chapter 11

'What the hell is he doing here?' Jarrod said through clenched teeth. 'There is seriously something creepy about him.'

I nodded in agreement as I watched Quinn continuing to smile at me. 'You got that right. That guy embodies creepy.' I pushed open the door and smiled inwardly as it caused Quinn to be shoved into the parked car next us.

He quickly recollected himself. 'What are you two lovebirds doing?' He asked. 'First the fair and now morning lifts? You move on super fast, Penelope.'

I glared at my once close friend as Jarrod came and stood by my side. 'I don't need to explain myself to you. Especially not after the stunt you pulled last night.' I felt anger surge through me as I watched the look of confusion colour his soft features. 'How could you, Quinn? We were so close once. What happened to you? How could you stoop so low?'

Quinn furrowed his eyebrows. 'What the hell. What did I do last night?'

I scoffed mockingly. 'What is it with you and all the dramatics? Just stop lying for once, Quinn. I know you was in on it with Steph,' I narrowed my eyes at him accusingly. 'Taking hidden pictures, eh? Sneaky even for you.'

He sighed and looked between Jarrod and I, suddenly looking like a lost and confused little child. But I wouldn't fall for it; not again. It's strange how people you've known for years can surprise you. How little depth and integrity they have. 

'I really have no idea what you're talking about, P,' he said softly and walked away.

Jarrod gave me a look. 'I have no idea what happened last night but that was quite convincing on Quinn's end. Are you sure he had anything to do with what whatever it is?'

It took a few moments for me to reply because even I found Quinn to be very convincing and sincere. 'Yes,' I responded even though I don't really have the evidence that he and Steph worked together. Only the fact that if Steph can do that to me then why wouldn't Quinn?

Pushing the thought out I looked at Jarrod. He smiled at me warmly. 'Shall we go?' he said.

I nodded, completely mesmerised by the sight of his intense eyes. For some reason, I wanted to grasp onto his hand and walk inside college with him, together, hand in hand. 

***

I sat in class my eyes staring at John's back, willing him to turn. But nothing happened. He walked into class and looked straight through me. As if I was a stranger. Actually I don't think his eyes even landed on me. Next to him sat Ianto, who looked at me apologetically and smiled. I forced in return. Ianto was a good guy- I missed him.

He rested his elbow on my desk and winked. 'What's up, sexy?'

I grinned. 'The sky.'

He looked up and clicked his tongue. 'I think not. If you look up what you will find is the ceiling.'

Instinctively, I looked up. I laughed and held my hands up in surrender. 'You got me. I got trapped in my own joke.' 

He jokingly punched me in the face. 'That's my girl.' He gave my hand a tight squeeze and turned back to his own desk. 

I felt my smile drop. I missed the banter with my friends. Everything seemed so much easier and simpler when I was with John. Or maybe it wasn't; everything looks better in hindsight, you can never really know. I shook my head and returned to my work. My love life isn't gonna stop me from passing my exams and getting into a top university- my career will always come first.

My eyes were drawn to the door as I heard a knock. My heart literally skipped a beat as in walked Jarrod. He didn't notice me as he walked towards the teacher and handed in a file. I heard him mutter a quick apology as he began to turn away. Suddenly, he glanced in my direction and gave a small smiled. I gave him a weak smile because for some reason I could tell where he was looking exactly because the desks were so close together in this tiny room. He could've been smiling at me, the people either side of me, the people behind me or John, who sat directly in front of me. But then it seemed my answer was handed to me as Jarrod gave another smile, this time a brighter one, one where he looked right into my eyes. I felt my smile become wider and more silly then drop as he walked out, the door releasing an ominous bang.