Chapter 6

For the millionth time I stood in front of the mirror, smoothing down my hair, making sure I looked perfect. 

'God, what am I doing?' I mumbled as I forced myself from the mirror and sat down on the kitchen island.

There was absolutely no reason for going to so much effort for Jarrod. But why was I? He's just a friend and he's taking me out because he knows I've been lonely lately. After all he didn't say it was date.

Did he?

I took my phone out the case to check the time but then froze at the sight of John's teasing smile staring at me. A queasy feeling entered my stomach and suddenly the room seemed to enclose around me. I jumped at the sound of a horn and my phone went tumbling to the ground. For a few seconds I stared down at it, contemplating whether it was a sign that maybe I shouldn't go. But then I heard a knock on my door and thought maybe I deserved to have some fun.

I ran to the door, taking in a deep breath before opening it. This isn't a big deal, I told myself.

Jarrod was dressed simply. White shirt and black jeans, his dark hair nearly falling into his green eyes. Eyes that scanned me cleanly for just an instant and then went back to my face.

'Hey there, player. I was actually beginning to think that you was horning at me then,' I teased.

He laughed. 'No, that was someone else. I know how to treat a lady.'

'As a player, you should.'

His smile seemed to falter slightly. Did I say something wrong?

There was an awkward silence as we both looked round uncomfortably. 

'Are you ready to go?' He finally asked.

'Yes, let me just lock the door. My Mum's gone out.' I didn't tell him that Mum went out to finalise the divorce. No one except John and Scarlett knew. 

I followed him to his car, a black Mazda. 'Nice car,' I commented as I slipped into the passenger seat and buckled myself in.

The drive was surprisingly chatty compared to how moments before we were standing uncomfortably on my doorstep.

We came to stop as he parked just outside the fair ground. I skipped up to him excitedly and he smiled back enthusiastically. 

'Excited, I see.' He remarked with a grin.

I smiled widely at him, clasping my hands. 'I love the fair.'

Jarrod's eyes roamed my face and there was a certain look on his face. Joy, surprise and a little wonder too.

We started walking when suddenly he stopped and stared at me. 'You look beautiful, by the way.'

I was speechless. Once again he stole my ability to speak. There was so much sincerity behind his words that I wondered when was the last time John complimented me or looked at me the way Jarrod was looking at me right now.

'Penelope?' 

I snapped my eyes back to his. 'Sorry,' I said. 'I have a tendancy to zone out alot.'

'I've noticed,' he mumbled.

I ruffled through my bag for my money as we waited in the queue. 

'What are you looking for?' Jarrod asked.

'Purse.'

'Why?'

'Money.'

'Why?'

'Pay for rides.'

'You don't need to pay, I will,' he stated.

I looked up at him. 'I'll pay for myself.'