n i n e

With springtime came time to choose a new squad of cheerleaders.  Professional teams were always competitive, but with the success of the football team over the past 18 years, we were progressively climbing the ranks of the NFL cheer teams in talent and sheer numbers at auditions, with turnout increasing every season.  Today began my series of prep classes I offered in the weeks before auditions to help girls get comfortable and feel ready for tryouts.  So far, I had 100 girls registered in advance, and sure to be more signing up at the door.  As the clock turned to 6:30AM, I sat at the table double-fisting a homemade protein smoothie and a large mug of coffee as a shirtless Rob stumbled in, his bleary-eyed, child-like demeanor contrasting with his rippling muscles.

"Good morning sleepyhead," I teased, "I've been up for hours."

"Mmm," he muttered, clearly not fully processing the English language, "You look pretty."

I subconsciously twirled one of my long brown curls with a red manicured finger, "I better, I've been up since 4AM getting ready."

His 6'6 frame slumped down into the chair next to me, "Ready for what?"

"Babe, prep classes start today, remember?"

"Classes for..." he rubbed his eyes, the gears slowly grinding in his head, "Oh yeah!  Tryouts are coming up!  Are you ready for them?"

I took a deep breath, "I'm really nervous, I just hope I make the team."

"Me too," Rob sighed, resting his cheek in his hand.

I laughed to myself, and passed him my coffee as I stood up from the table, "I think you need this more than I do."  Grabbing my keys from the hook off the wall, I leaned over his shoulder and planted a red-lipsticked kiss on his cheek, "See you tonight baby."

~

I walked into the field house at 7:02AM.  Although the parking lot had several cars in it, the field house was empty, namely because I had the keys.  I walked to the logo at the center of the field and just stood there with my eyes closed, breathing slowly and taking it all in before the hoardes of hopefuls flooded the building.  Moments like this made all the extra responsibility worth it.  As I stood there, early morning calm flooding over me, I heard my name squealed from across the field.

"Trish!" I exclaimed, as I opened my eyes and saw my former deputy standing in the doorway.  The blonde beauty was retiring this season, so I had asked her to help with the tryout process this year.  She really was the blonde best friend to my brunette, and I would miss her immensely this season.

"Ready for another round of this?" she asked as we walked towards the table that had been set up on the sideline.

I sighed, "Emotionally?  No - this is probably the most emotionally taxing thing I do all year."

She punched me gently in the shoulder, "Poor you, captain of the most elite cheer squad in the NFL and girlfriend of the hottest player in the NFL.  Must be a tough life."

"Hey, it's gonna be so hard making those cuts and not knowing if its the right call," I protested, "And since you brought it up, I was just thinking that its been almost a year since Rob and I first met."

"Aww, my favorite love birds," Trish squealed, wrapping me in a tight hug.

I turned to face her, "Trish, can I be completely honest with you?"  She nodded, and we both tossed our bags down and sat cross-legged on the turf.  "Things with Rob have just been...I don't know, a bit off lately.  Like 90% of the time its normal, goofy Rob and Hanna, but other times, its just a weird vibe.  The whole party bus thing is still at the back of my mind, and he seems strangely uncomfortable around Will Bennett, like he's jealous or something, which is crazy because Will and I are actually just friends, we've only met a few times and most of those have been with Rob around.  I don't know, am I just nitpicking?  Is this me being afraid of commitment?"

Trish squeezed my hand, "Han, that's normal.  You're a couple, you've been dating for almost a year now, the honeymoon phase has to end at some point.  Don't look for things to be worried about.  If there is a problem, a real problem, you'll know it in your gut.  It could be the pre-wedding jitters too.  We both know your past with commitment, and that could be getting to you.  Don't let what happened with your parents destroy your future.  You and Rob are not your parents."

I gave her a soft smile, "And this is why I love you."

I looked over as the door opened and the first timid group of registrants entered the field house, paperwork in hand.  "Now let's start scouting."