Chapter 2.

Sephyr
Five hours later,I was sitting in the car with my mum trying to wrap my head around what just happened and I didn't have an explanation for it.

My mum was currently driving past the speed limit looking left and right every now and then. I had a lot of questions to ask, who wouldn't?

It was not a normal occurrence to see a giant lizard that was yellow!

If my mother hadn't been there to witness it then I would have signed myself up with a shrink thinking I was crazy.

The car was silent,I had a lot of unanswered questions but I knew better than to ask.
The thick tension in the car could cut through paper. My stomach grumbled breaking the silence in the car.

"There is a filling station ten mins away,we will stop there to get some food and refill the tank," mum said.

True to her word, we arrived not less than ten minutes at a filling station.Giving me a ten dollar bill,she refilled the fuel tank while I got food from the store in filling station.

The store looked like a scene from a horror movie.Ignoring the warning bells in my head,I walked into the store and went towards the snacks section.

"Sephyr, come,"

I jumped when I heard a voice and faced it to find my mother. She looked like my mother but didn't sound anything like her.

Suspicious,I narrowed my eyes and asked "who are you?"

Her eyes twitched in anger."You are smarter than you look so I guess we will do this the hard way then."

Her eyes turned red,her teeth became sharper and longer,featherless wings sprouted from her back,claws for fingernails and scales covering her body.

Frozen with fear,I didn't notice when she moved to attack me,I didn't notice when my mum ran into the store neither did I notice when my mum wielded a sword covered with flames from thin air.

She moved to attack the woman,slash after slash,blow after blow but the creature was relentless.

She managed to get a few hits on her and got tired after a while.
Seeing this as an opportunity,the creature moved from defence to offence giving my mother a final blow that knocked her out cold.

I stared at her unmoving body and something inside me snapped.

Blinded by anger,I ran towards her in attack mode wanting her blood.
It felt like I was being controlled,lines formed on my body like tattoos and began to glow.

Light sprouted from my hands towards the creature.She screamed like a banshee as my light kept burning her till she finally burst into flames.
My energy drained and black dots began to form in my eyes till I finally fell unconscious.

~~~

I woke up to darkness with the light of the moon shining through the window and everything rushed back to me the store,the creature,the light, the fire, my mum... My mum!

I looked round panicked till I saw her laying on the bed next to me.

I rushed towards her feeling for her pulse and was relieved to find out she was only unconscious.

"Well, if someone had not stopped for food we could have gotten there earlier and saved them!"

I heard voices outside the door and stood in front of my mother panicked and scared.

The light flicked on and a girl and a boy walked in arguing.

It was amusing to watch them bickering,I cleared my throat and they turned to me surprised.

"Oh! you are awake,"

She smiled sweetly and I was jealous of her beauty.

She had long dark brown hair,pink eyes and a well sculptured face. Wait,pink eyes???

"Who are you?"

I asked looking at her with distrustful eyes.
She stepped forward and I yelled "stay back!"

She flew to the wall with the force of my voice.

I rushed towards her panicked.

"Oh my goodness,I am so sorry,are you okay?"

"I expected that,"she groaned in pain while trying to stand up.

The memory of the events from the store came back to me and I moved away from her wondering if she will turn to a snake this time.

"I am Eunice and he's Drake-"she pointed to the boy that came in earlier with her-"We are not here to hurt you".

I mentally rolled my eyes, they aren't here to hurt me??

"We aren't here to hurt you Sephyr"

I looked at them in fear and confusion.

"How did you know my name?"

The boy opened his mouth to answer when he was interrupted by my mother's voice.

"It's okay Sephyr,you can trust them"

My mum said trying to stand up from the bed.

I rushed towards her trying to help her stand up.

"Mum,who are they?"

"Mum?"
Drake looked at me in confusion.
"She isn't ...." but he was interrupted by an explosion.