Chapter 31: Spinner of Words

“Elemmírë lives with her parents still?” Tyelko asked in surprise as they made their way through the streets of Valimar. He followed behind those in front: Elenwë, Turvo, Finno, Eve, and Nelyo. Beside him, Káno seemed uncharacteristically nervous.

Elenwë responded while they walked. “I believe so. Last time I saw her she told me she quote ‘needed more time for writing and less time for chores’.” Elenwë and a couple others snickered at her impersonation. “But in actuality. She spends all her time on her poems.”

They reached a large building, made of white stone like the rest of the elven houses. This had large columns around the front and a covered entryway. Elenwë led them up the numerous small steps until at last they reached the white doors. She knocked.

A smiling golden haired male elf answered the door. His hair was tied back in a long braid and he glanced around the group, ending and beginning at Elenwë. “Hello, Elenwë. How are you? We saw your parents just yesterday. They talked about you!”

“Hello Lord Carmener,” Elenwë replied with a matching smile and a bow. “Do we find you well?”

He nodded. “Quite. What may I help you with? You and your royal friends, as I guess these are.”

Elenwë laughed and turned to the others. “Indeed. These are the sons of Lord Fëanáro and Lord Nolofinwë, along with Elmendë, cousin of Lady Nerdanel.” She paused. “We had hoped to meet your esteemed daughter, Elemmírë. For we heard her reading last night, and Makalaurë here,” she mentioned as she gestured to Káno, “he is renowned in his own right, and I thought it would be good to introduce them.”

“Ah, Makalaurë, the greatest musician in all the land, they say.” Carmener nodded and opened the door wider. “You may all enter, of course. My daughter is in the lowest level, in her study. Let me go ahead and tell her who you are. She does not often appreciate interruptions.”

“Who is they, lord,” Káno asked half out of amusement and half out of genuine surprise.

Carmener rolled his eyes with a laugh and didn’t dignify that question with a response. Instead he left them in the grand foyer as he went down a stairwell into a basement. They heard muffled discussion for a few minutes before at last Carmener came back up and smiled with a nod. He told them to go down the stairs.

Elenwë led them, Káno close behind and the others following after. Huan stayed up stairs in the entryway, but Tyelko came last of the group. When they reached the bottom of the stairs and turned into a massive room, they found the walls covered completely in leather bound books and scrolls of all shapes, sizes, and colors. The floor was composed of large, cream and brown marble tiles which reflected well the lights of torches and candles.

Eve stared in awe more at the ceiling; arched vaults and dozens of skinny columns formed the gothic style of this basement. Dark wooden tables decorated the space with a large cushioned chair at one of them. Directly in front of the group, a massive domed fireplace contributed to the ambience, and to their right on the wall next to them, a fountain with a dancing elven couple protruded from the wall. But the most stunning of all was the woman standing against a column, dressed in a deep blue gown and golden haired.

She eyed them both suspiciously and curiously. Her grey eyes softened when she saw Elenwë. “Hello, darling!” She laughed softly, almost musically. “It has been awhile!”

“Quite awhile,” Elenwë agreed with a chuckle. “Thank you for letting us down here.”

Elemmírë smiled. “Of course, my dear.” She paused and looked at the others critically. “And who are these others?”