Chapter Twelve

Seventh hour we were all called down to the auditorium for the memorial assembly. I didn't know how they threw one together so fast. I wouldn't be surprised if the Sfofskis paid the school to do it. I knew it was horrible to think, but that was how they were.

    Students filed in over a matter of minutes, and the bleachers loaded. All around me, I heard cries and whispers. I saw Natalia sitting as far away from everyone as she could. She was practically sitting on the floor in the corner of the bleachers. Callie was obviously looking for Natalia; people kept pointing her towards the corner.

    The buzz of everyone eased as soon as Mr. Novak walked into the auditorium and beelines to the podium in the center of the room.

    "Please be quiet." he murmured into the mic, forcing us listen. Everyone silenced.

    "Thank you. Now, we're gathered here today to remember our Miss Feodorvna Sfofski. She was a sublime young woman. She excelled in her studies, helped those who need helping, and strengthened the bonds between herself and her friends and family." he paused, clearing his throat. "I'm sure that her sister may want to speak on her loss of her other half."

    At that, several teachers shot him a look. He flushed.

    "Condolences, Miss Natalia. I did not mean for that to be offensive...I'm sorry. Will you please join me on behalf of your sister?"

    A quiet "yes" sounded from her secluded spot as she rose and walked down the bleachers. Curious eyes followed her on her way to the floor. Her hands shook when Mr. Novak, who we all knew meant well, handed her the microphone.

    "Uh...hello?" Her voice wavered. "When I heard a gunshot last night, I never expected to find my other half," Mr. Novak gulped, "in a puddle of her own blood. Even in death, and it pains me to say this, she looked peaceful." Natalia shoulders began to sink. "The rest is...a...uh...blur. I remember calling the cops, but that's uh...that's it."

    Natalia stepped away. No one clapped. No one moved. No one did anything when she ran out of the auditorium, either. We were all frozen. Or at least I was. Mr. Novak was the first to thaw.

    "Wow. I hope you all will be considerate of Miss Natalia during this time of her mourning. For now, let's all pray." He bowed his head in prayer. "To Miss Feodorvna, resting in heaven, we extend our love - uh - blessings to you. Now a moment of silence."

    We all sat still. No one dared to interrupt the principal.

    "Amen." he concluded. A handful of students and teachers repeated him.

    "You may all go back to class." he spoke into the microphone, and left left the room.

~

Natalia was found in tears on the floor of the girls' bathroom some time during the prayer. Mrs. Foxglove apparently heard sobs coming from down the vacant hallway.

    Natalia was sent home not long after. I felt bad about it. It was all my fault...I could've stopped it. For some reason, I was always stuck in the middle of things. I was always pulled each way and the other, yet there was never anything I could do about it. But Feodorvna? That I could've done something about.

    After we were all sent back to class, everything seemed so hushed. The loud-mouths didn't talk, the immature kids didn't make one innapropriate joke, the quiet kids molded into the walls more than usual. At last, the bell dismissed us for the day and the intercom announced that school would be cancelled for the next day. No one rushed out of the door, but instead took their time packing up their bags. I dragged myself to my locker only to find a note sticking out of one of the slats. I unfolded it.