Chapter Thirty

Morning came much too soon, and with it, a sobering return to reality for Reed. He'd been awake for an hour contemplating the day's itinerary and Ember's role in it. He could not help the worry grating against his nerves like nails on a chalkboard. He wanted to refuse her any participation in the whole affair, but he knew any edict he put forth would meet with stubborn and more than likely frosty refusal. His hands were tied and not in a good way.

As Ember opened her eyes to the bright cheerful rays of sunlight filling the room, she couldn't help but smile. The darkness of Reed's temper pressed against her like a weight, a sharp contrast to her happy disposition. Stretching lazily in the cozy bed she harbored little doubt of her ability to lighten his mood, but her body let her know quickly sex was out of the question. She was sore, deliciously sore, but still sore nonetheless. She sighed. Reed chuckled softly.

"Disappointed?"

She rolled over to her stomach and propped her head against his chest. She pulled the bedsheet against her face and covered her mouth before she replied. It was way too early for morning breath.

"Maybe just a little. I think I want to do what we did yesterday all day every day once we defeat Treston and save my sisters," she answered him with a muffled giggle.

Reed smiled, "All day every day? What about food?"

Ember cocked her head as a mental picture of Reed, whipped cream with chocolate sauce and tongues flashed through her mind. Food was a definite possibility. Reed smiled darkly at the image and stirred against her. He didn't mind morning breath at all. Ember shrieked and scuttled hastily from the bed.

"No no no! I mind morning breath a lot!" she laughed and wrapped the sheet around her.

She backed toward the bathroom, "I need clothes. Tessa's taking me shopping."

When Reed started to speak, Ember shook her head, "You're not going. It's a girls' day out. No boys allowed."

Reed frowned. Ember ignored it and leaned against the bathroom door.

"We won't be gone long. Just a quick trip to a few boutiques, and I'll be back before you know it."

Ember sighed, his silent disapproval thick enough to give her the beginning of a headache. She squeezed the bridge of her nose.

"Tessa doesn't trust you. She doesn't like you either. I know the feeling is mutual, but she is still my aunt. I know she's made mistakes, but I'm no angel either. I'd like an hour or two to clear the air without all the added tension. Plus, I need clothes, and I don't have any money."

Reed grumbled unhappily, "I can buy you clothes."

Ember giggled unexpectedly, "You want to take me shopping?"

Reed sat up in the bed with his hands flat on the mattress behind him, "I didn't say I wanted to take you shopping. I said I can buy you clothes."

Ember pushed away from the door and drifted closer to the bed, "Well, I suppose you could take me. I was thinking about a pedicure, and I might as well get my nails done while I'm at it. I'm overdue a haircut too. It would be nice for someone else to do it now that the fire's under control. Maybe we could stop by a salon after the boutique? Of course, I need more than just clothes. Shoes are a must. These boots aren't exactly criminal attire. Not that you would mind, but I do need a bra and undies too. I'm sure there's a Walmart around here somewhere?"

Reed snaked an arm out and around her waist once she was close enough to the bed for him to grab her. He pulled her to him and rolled over, pinning her to the mattress beneath him. She squealed with delight and offered no resistance.

"Fine, you and Tessa can have your girl's day out, but be prepared. My entire day will be dedicated to nothing but this."

Ember gave him a sweet tender look when he closed his eyes. A second later a mental image of them together, hot and naked, filled her mind. She held her breath as his 'picture' became a triple X rated movie. She felt her pulse start to race as he 'kissed' her mouth, her neck and her breasts. Every place on her body he caressed with his mind tingled warmly in response as though his touch were real. Her nipples hardened as shivers rose along her skin. When his tongue trailed a circle around her belly button in her mind and inched even lower, she touched his face.

"That's one fantasy I'd rather be a reality," she whispered.

He opened his eyes. He agreed without saying a word. Reed pulled the sheet away from her naked body and smiled. When he leaned down to kiss her, he paused. Ember's mouth suddenly watered like crazy. The cool moisture swirled around her teeth and tongue for a few seconds then disappeared. Another second later, Ember tasted mint. She smiled in surprise.

She'd never worry about morning breath again.

***

Hours later, Ember hummed softly under her very minty breath as she browsed a rack of clothing distractedly. Reed followed through with his promise. She accompanied Tessa alone for their day of shopping. They had been several places, made several purchases, but Ember was ready to get back to the room and to Reed. Deodorant could wait. Ember smiled. She really did need to find a Walmart.

Tessa offered to pay the bill at nearly every store they visited, but Ember declined repeatedly. One of Reed's sole conditions of their little excursion as he called it was he pay for all of her purchases. Ember simply shook her head at his alpha male pride and took the credit card he offered. Although a part of her balked at being anyone's charity case, she preferred Reed's charity over Tessa.

She refused to let it bother her as she shopped. She could pay either one of them back. She had a pretty nice sized nest egg stashed away in Birmingham. Comforted by the thought, she picked out several jeans and tops as well as shoes. She 'felt' Reed's approval as she settled on a few lacy bras and panties. She even splurged on makeup and a few unnecessary toiletries.

She chose a tight black outfit especially suited for their midnight adventure slated for later in the evening. After spying a hardware store, she ran in and selected a few tools as well. She wasn't exactly sure what kind of surveillance system she would find at Gravenhage, so she only got a few generic things to carry with her. Reed snickered when she picked out a fanny pack. Ember spent the next several minutes mentally telling him the endless benefits of fanny packs, especially in her line of work.

All the while Reed was expanding her heretofore limited knowledge of sexual positions as promised. He filled her mind with image after image of the two of them together, and as the day wore on, he took perverse pleasure in shocking her to distraction. As Ember's shock ultimately gave way to curiosity, Reed's torture became a mutual affair. He eventually gave up the game to be a better bodyguard and pay closer attention to her surroundings. Ember made no effort hide her disappointment.

The sun hung low in the sky by the time they finished everything on their list. Once Reed stopped the mental porn, Ember and Tessa finally had a chance to clear the air. They ate lunch at a small bistro style restaurant and spent an uninterrupted hour talking about Ember's sisters. The more they talked, the more grateful Ember felt that Tessa saved them from a childhood like hers. Tessa may have made one huge crucial mistake in loving Treston, but she saved Brooke, Celeste and Willow from the torture Ember endured and gave them sweet happy memories instead.

After sharing a laugh over a silly childhood story about Brooke, Ember yawned over the still warm coffee cup in her hand. It was getting late, and they had a long night ahead of them. Ember suggested they return to their room, and Tessa agreed. They still had a few details to work out before heading to Gravenhage.

Once they walked back to the car, Tessa suggested she drive after Ember let out another yawn. Ember did not argue. She was exhausted. Reed occupied most of her night before and the bulk of her morning, and sleep was not much of a priority for either of them. Once they got into the car, Ember leaned her head back against the headrest and closed her eyes. Two minutes later they were stopped in horrendous traffic, and Ember was asleep.