Chapter Twenty Two

Ember plopped down on the bed as she struggled to get her breathing under control. She was so pissed she could probably breath fire. Why Reed continued to treat her like a child was beyond her, but it was getting old fast. He made her happy one minute, furious the next. Despite her anger, she missed him. She wanted him to hold her and make everything better, and then she wanted to fucking kill him. Looking over at Frankie, she smiled through her anger. He was checking his arms for track marks.

"I mus' be trippin, Emmie. I know I din't see yo' man just beam outta here."

Ember chuckled, "He totally just beamed out of here, Frankie."

Frankie walked in to sit beside her and took out a cigarette, "Aight, out wi' it. You a broom witch wit a habit, gur?"

Ember stopped smiling as she reached over and called fire, "I don't know what I am, Frankie. Need a light?"

A single flame leapt from her fingertip a foot from Frankie's face. After a second, he leaned forward and lit his cigarette. Taking a deep, slow drag, he watched her hand with interest.

"Tha' a nifty trick," he said.

Ember stood, stepped in front of him and closed her eyes. Two seconds later she was surrounded by fire, engulfed in violet, black blue flames. Careful not to burn the carpet at her feet or anything close by, she opened her eyes and smiled. Frankie's smile got even bigger. He refused to back away, although he must have felt the heat coming off of her. He chuckled and shook his head slowly in disbelief. He gave up feigned indifference and slapped his leg in delight. Standing, he walked around her slowly, taking in every inch of her blazing glory.

"Wha' else ya got?" he asked with excitement.

"Unless she wants the big bad wolf on your doorstep, I'd suggest she keep the rest of her little tricks to herself," a woman's voice admonished softly from the doorway.

Ember cursed and banished the fire immediately, "Fuck, I'm sorry. I wasn't thinking."

Tessa inched to the bed, "No biggie, sweetheart. It's just a precaution."

Ember hurried to take her arm and help her to the bed, "Are you alright?"

As Ember and Frankie got her on the bed, she moaned, "I feel like Humpty Dumpty put back together again. What happened? Where are we?"

Ember paused and considered how much to tell the woman on the bed. Treston captured and drugged her, so on the surface she was a victim, perhaps even an ally. Yet Ember spent her life up until this point without trust. Treston was powerful and cunning. He would stop at nothing to carry out his desires. The woman on the bed could be an enemy and spy, despite her what her instincts told her.

"Can you tell me who you are first?" Ember asked.

Tessa heard the hesitance in Ember's voice and sat up carefully. Taking Ember's hand in hers, she nodded, "God, I'm sorry. Of course. I'm still a little out of it I guess. My name is Teresa Dawning, Tessa to my family and friends. I count you as both, though we've only just met. Your mother, Anna, was my sister, which makes you my family. Only time will tell if you count me as friend."

Ember sat on the bed beside her, "I have an aunt?"

"Yes, you have an aunt," she answered with a weary smile.

"I don't remember you," Ember whispered.

"I was fourteen when you were born, still in boarding school in England. Your mother and father moved to the States after they married. We tried to stay in touch through email, but years passed with little contact. After I graduated, I was on my way to America to finally meet you and your sisters and escort you home when all of you disappeared."