CHAPTER 02

DON'T OPEN THE DOOR

Sadie stuffed the gun into the waistband of her jeans and pulled out her iPhone, scrolling through social media. There were videos on Snapchat and Instagram or people crying, showing people dying with rain in the background, begging for someone to help.

"Why is there an underground bunker?" Riley asked from the next room and Sadie put her phone away,

"Because down here we're safe from the rain." Her mother answered, going through the cupboards, "How about some hot cocoa?"

"Why aren't you scared?" Riley questioned. That's all he seemed to be focused on, asking questions, "What's wrong with the rain?"

"I told you, don't worry about it." Her mother responded, "I'll take care of you."

Sadie put her bags down by the door and sat next to her brother, "Hey, don't worry about that stuff." She comforted,

"I don't like it here."

"Let's try to relax." She pulled him closer, "Mom's making hot cocoa. There's nothing to be afraid of down here, Riles."

Suddenly, there was a loud, banging noise coming from outside. Somebody was knocking, "Is it dad?" Riley asked,

"It can't be." Their mom answered, "He can let himself in. Let's have some cocoa."

"But who else would it be?" Sadie questioned, sitting up,

"We have to open it." Riley decided,

"What if dad can't open the door?" Sadie suggested and her mother turned to look at her, "It's dangerous out there, mom."

The knocking got louder and Sadie watched as her mother's shaking hands placed the cup under the faucet, "But..."

"It's not dad." Her mother stated, "He won't be back anytime soon."

The two ignored their mother and quietly left the kitchen to open the door. The bunker was in the middle of the woods, no one else knew it was there, so who else would it be beside their father?

Sadie placed her hand on the scanner and pressed the button to open the door. But when she saw the boots, she knew immediately it wasn't her father. Her father wearing a hazmat suit, so why would he take it off?

When the door opened fully, it showed the man from the road. The one in the white van. Convulsing, the man reached out and grabbed Riley's shirt.

Everything seemed to be in slow motion for Sadie. Behind her, she could hear her mother pounding on the glass door, waiting for the decontamination so she could get to her children. In front of her, the man was slowly dragging Riley into the 'dangerous' rain.

She reached out, grabbing a hold of her brother, "Let go!" Sadie went to go push the man, but her mother beat her to it. Her mother tackled the man to the ground, exposing herself to the rain.

Sadie pushed her brother behind her as the two adults stared up into the rain. The man from the road began puking violently and her mother begged her and Riley to go inside.

Her mother collapsed onto the ground and began convulsing. It was like something out of a horror movie, where there's an exorcism on the possessed.

"Mom!" Sadie screamed as she puked violently, foam surrounding her mouth. The door began closing and the last thing Sadie saw of the outside world was her mother's dying body.

Even with the door closed, they could hear her screams. Riley cried out for his mother and Sadie held his small body in her arms.

The two sat on the stairs, crying as they heard it go silent except for the rain. For the first time, Sadie hated the sound of rain. As Riley cried in her arms, Sadie pulled out her phone once again and went to call her father. But there was no service in the bunker.

Sadie lifted her younger brother up, who was still crying and carried him down the stairs and into a bedroom. She laid him on the bed and covered him with a blanket before laying down next to him, comforting him.

Once he was asleep, Sadie left the room quietly and went into the kitchen. With shaking hands, she pulled the gun from her waistband and placed it on the counter, "I can't do this." She ran her hands through her hair and began pacing, "I can't do this without you. I... I'm only seventeen." Sadie slid down the wall and sat on the floor, "I shouldn't have opened the door." Tears began falling down her cheeks, "I'm so sorry." She sobbed into her knees, "I shouldn't have opened the door."