46. The Goddess of Death

"You, uh, you can go talk to him, I'll just wait in the corner and stay here until we leave. I don't want to ruin a family reunion." Aurora pipes awkwardly up and the brothers nod understanding, also because the Allfather dislikes her. Before they walk to Odin, Aurora grabs Loki's arm. She knows they're on difficult terms but this doesn't mean she stopped caring. "Good luck."

His eyes are locked into hers and he is close to pulling her into his arms and kissing her. But controlling his craving, Loki only nods silently and him and Thor go to their father. Aurora sighs heavily, sitting down on the grass. The last weeks, especially today, have been stressful and she doesn't know how to continue. There must be a reason why Loki is acting so weird.

Loki would only go this far if it's about her safety. Aurora remembers his bright blue eyes, they were vibrant and beaming in a strange light, not the usual emerald green. Has she ever heard someone mentioning this kind of blue? Suddenly, the realization hits her and Aurora's eyes widen. Can it be...?

"Aurora." Odin's voice catches her attention and her blue eyes grow wide even more that the King of Asgard suddenly addresses her. Aurora's heart has skipped a beat and has almost dropped to her toes.

"Uh, yes?" She asks and stares at the three sitting men.

"Come over and have a seat, child." He orders and she does as he says, without the intention to ruin the peaceful atmosphere. As the auburn-haired girl sits down next to Loki, Odin glances at her. "I'm asking for forgiveness."

"What??" Aurora blurts out and is completely taken aback. Has she heard right? The King wants her to forgive him? The expression on Thor and Loki's face is gravely serious.

"I should not have imprisoned you for an incident that wasn't your fault. You only intended to save a child's life– a task that is supposed to be my burden rather than yours." His genuine apology makes her speechless and she doesn't know what to say. She remembers how much he despised her. "Frigga would've wanted you to hear those words. She quite liked you."

Aurora senses that something is wrong now that the deceased Queen is mentioned. The tension is too tight to welcome the thought of a future where they all live in peace together. This feels like goodbye. Her shock shrinks and she smiles gently at him. This man has done so many things wrong, especially concerning the treatment of his sons, but this doesn't mean he's a bad man. "There's nothing to forgive. It was a wise decision of you, you shouldn't worry about a single life."

Even though he nods in gratitude, Odin yet disagrees. "I failed you all. It is upon us. Ragnarok."

"No, I've stopped Ragnarok. I put an end to Surtur." Thor assures him with certainty but his father knows better.

"No. It has already begun. She's coming. My life was all that held her back. But my time has come. I cannot keep her away any longer." As Odin fears their upcoming threat after his supposed death, Aurora frowns in disbelief. The Allfather will really die? And who does he mean with she?

His blonde son has no idea either who his father is mentioning. "Father, who are you talking about?"

"The Goddess of Death. Hela. My firstborn. Your sister."

"Your what?" Thor repeats in disbelief and this news feel like an unexpected punch for Aurora. There's another child in the Odinson family, even a sister? Judging their reaction, Thor and Loki don't appear to have known this either. This is just too crazy.