Chapter Two

Trigger warning: abduction, car highjacking

For Jay, the car ride to town was nothing short of magical. They couldn't remember the last time they and Taylor had just hung out together and now when they looked over, their best friend was actually at her side. They had the windows down, free hand out feeling the air sweep over the car. All of the fast-paced air was blowing Taylor's hair about until she looked like a creature from paradise. Jay could only stare in awe of their friend, and feel lucky to be experiencing the moment. Outside, civilization mixed with wild woods and meadows filled with wildflowers. Music flowed out of the speakers, and everything felt frozen in a perfected moment. But the moment was gone once the car hit the parking lot for the cafe. Jay was bounced back into Reality with the sounds of traffic on the main road, and the noise of a child screaming over a lack of a balloon in his hand.

"Well then, there aren't any burger or shaved ice joints in this town, but this place serves the best lattes in the district." Taylor announced, turning the car off and opening her door. "At least according to the map on my phone. Shall we enter?"

"Sure." Jay followed her to the door, but stopped short.

"What now?" Taylor held back the look that reflected the frustration she was feeling.

"Are... Are we really going to ignore what happened in the parking lot?" Jay stammered.

"It was a lapse of communication, nothing more, nothing less. Forgive and forget, right?" Taylor didn't wait for Jay to speak again, opting instead to take their hand and drag them through the door. Once drinks were ordered and a table found, the two settled in to chat.

"I suppose I should have asked earlier, is today a femme or an 'I don't know' day?" Taylor asked with inconspicuousness of an elephant in an elevator.

"I... Erm, don't worry it's a femme day." Jay answered just as bluntly. Despite being their best friend, there were some things that she didn't like to understand about them. "Look, I wore a skirt today. I'm just a person, okay? Sorry, but not sorry if not being able to put an over-used label on me makes you uncomfortable, but I am who I am. If you want-"

"It's okay, I get it." Taylor cut them off by quickly placing her hand on top of Jay's. "I thought I should ask anyway. We haven't gotten together in so long that I..." She shrugged. "I don't know, things feel like they changed so much. You got so sick, then you came out-"

"Do you think those things were related?" Jay interjected, perhaps too sharply.

"No! No, it's just that everybody else at school talked like they thought it did. I wanted to make sure that you're still you."

"Yes, I am; it is not a choice I made, or a switch that got flipped by the medicine. I am someone who feels comfortable with not being fully female or fully male, and I thought that was okay with you. You're acting like it's not though." Their conversation was halted by the arrival of the drinks, so Taylor dropped the subject.

"Well, what are you going to do now that you're finally done with school?" She asked, pasting on a sugary smile too sweet to be real. Jay gawked at her ability to deflect conflict for a moment before answering.

"I've got a job to start next week. It's nothing special, just proof-reading and focus-grouping script revisions for a game developer. Hopefully I'll be able to work my way to actually making one someday, providing my body doesn't give out before then."

"You'll be great! And I'm sure your body will be fine." Taylor raised her mug up. "To making games!"

"To making art!" Jay responded, raising their's. They clinked mugs and enjoyed each other's laughter. Jay stared at Taylor as she sipped her coffee. There wasn't any way anyone could convince her that Taylor wasn't an angel on earth. It was hard to leave their school, but with sickness and people's lack of understanding, it was the only way to stay sane. But being together again helped Jay feel glad they were able to make it so far.