Prologue

The unthinkable has happened; the endgame has come, and there's no easy way to win. Sacrifice the lives and freedom of all of your subjects for the chance to save a lost loved one, or lose the one forever to your responsibility.

"You must give the order. now." Shinju jumped out of her trance to see her advisor Pari standing in front of her, hand on the hilt of her sword.

"I..." She faltered; knowing what the right thing to do is doesn't make it any easier to have it done.

"If he gets here before we're ready, he will kill you then proceed to do the same to everyone who lives in Hassan." Pari's voice was firm and grim.

"Then we must act. Seal the castle, make sure everyone is hidden in safety. I will not let casualties rise." Pari bowed then left at a full run, leaving Shinju to gather her courage. This was a dangerous thing they were about to try; she couldn't think of a better way, if she had she would've taken it. Ryuu was a powerful sorcerer, true, but he was misled. Maybe she could convince him, persuade him in some way of it.

"No, he's a maniac & a killer with no remorse." Shinju convinced herself. "You must think of your people before him. If you meddle with the plan, you could endanger your entire kingdom." Banging came from behind her; when she turned around, she saw him. His towering frame along with his black cloak blocking the sunlight out of the door frame; his almost translucent skin almost completely covered up by his dirty hair and extravagant red scarf. Ryuu had arrived.

"You've grown more clever Shinju, I know you're clever enough to see the end."

"You're right, I do see the end, but I'm sure it's not the one you hoped for." Ryuu took a step towards her, and she took one back in silent response.

"Why do you shy away?" Ryuu inquired coolly. "I will not harm you."

"After the destruction you've caused my people, I doubt the validity of any mercy you offer me." Ryuu came closer, leaving only a couple of feet between himself and Shinju.

"I promise; surrender your rule, and I will show mercy." Shinju was slow in responding. Pari surely was ready by now, she wasn't sure how much longer she could stall.

"I will not agree to what you've proposed. " She heard herself say; without warning, Ryuu grabbed her and wrenched her off her feet.

"I should have known." He hissed. "You've always been a little wretch." Shinju struggled against Ryuu's grasp, but his hand was wrapped almost completely around her neck.

"Let her go Ryuu, you have no way out." Pari had returned, sword in one hand, a blue stone in the other. Ryuu glared at her with a sneer and flung Shinju to the ground; after doing so, he spun around to face Pari, letting magical shards of ice fly in an attempt to slow Pari's attack. Pari held up the stone, and it morphed into a large shield which the shards stuck into.

"So," Ryuu observed with a smirk. "They're real? You're a Realm Runner?" Pari lowered the shield as it turned back into a stone without saying a word. Shinju took a chance and jumped on Ryuu's back, surprising him and making him off balance.

"Pari!" She screamed as Ryuu grabbed her and pushed her down, ready to land a killing blow.

"We will not let you survive the night. Just know that your actions have brought this end upon yourself." Pari charged at Ryuu, stone morphing into a large mace in the process. When it made contact with Ryuu's back, they vanished, leaving Shinju bruised and trembling on the floor.

Within moments, there was a bright flash outside the broken door. An Elven man calmly walked in; his stature was regal in nature, his robes a dark blue-grey. He gazed around the room, horrified at the destruction left behind; soon his eyes fell on Shinju.