one | 夢

| dream

A sea of white smoke, covering the surroundings - a fog so cold it could freeze your hands to the tip..

Above an opening, it was seen, the silver sword, cracking. What is said to be immortal came crashing to the floor, plummeting into the very heart of the Slate.

One by one, the swords began to disappear; green, grey, red, blue

-

Her piercing crystal blue eyes shot open as cold sweat covered her entire body as she had just awaken from her sleep. The small hut she called her home had snow covering every in of it, the result of her unconscious doing, no doubt.

"Yuki." A male voice called her name. Her eyes shifted to the door, as the tall figure that was covered in freshly fallen snow appeared.

"Yuto." She greeted him by simply mentioning his name. He knew that situations like this meant she was in fright, and these sudden snowstorms in the house have been occurring increasingly since the past year.

"What is it this time?" He asked her.

"The Gold King. He's dead."

Her declaration was enough to make the man shake off the snow from his long blond hair and stand completely still, his hand ready to cast out his sword if there was any danger nearby.

"This has been a very intriguing year." She said once more, "First the Colourless King, then the Red King. Now the very Guardian of the Dresden Slates has passed. There's no stopping the one who is coming for it."

"If I may ask, how do you know the person coming for the Slates is the one causing all this mass destruction? Was it not to simply sabotage the First King?"

"I may not be part of the world the Seven Kings are in, but I am connected to all of them nevertheless. After nearly a century, the Silver King decides to reveal himself from that castle in the sky of his, and him going missing again was no coincidence either. I saw the other day that the Green clan had attacked the Blue and Red Kings at the same time."

"That's not possible. They're both strong and with the two of them together, it would be impossible-"

"Perhaps, if the person responsible wasn't a King." She remarked.

"Yuki-san, you're not suggesting what I think you're suggesting, right?"

"I am, Yuto-kun." She answered, "And I believe the Green King isn't doing this on his own. He's getting help from another King."

"Him?!"

"Yes."

Yuki stood up from her bed, looking out the window into the small heaven of snow she had created for her own protection. Her immortality had caused her to hide in this fake reality of a forest that lies far beyond civilisation, far beyond the Seven Kings, and far beyond her destiny as well.

"The world has changed, Yuto." She stated, "But I have seen wars between the human and wars between the Kings. I'm afraid I fear this world far more than I fear the one I walked in in the past."

"No harm will come to you as long as you remain in this place, and I will not let anybody touch a single hair on your head as long as I am alive, I promise you, milady."

Yuki was amused and touched by her clansman's loyalty and bravery.

"For years, I have kept the two of us safe in this little hut, in this pretty little snow-covered forest, with garden so that we do not grow hungry, and a barrier to protect us from the outside world. But somehow, I was found by Miwa Ichigen. That man was always too smart for his own good."

"The Colourless King?"

Yuki nodded. "I have only met him twice, and it was a shame to not be able to see him off when he died. But I realised something, Yuuto. When Miwa Ichigen died, his powers still remained on me. It gave me an eye to what could become of the outside world, as well as what could become of us."

"What future do you see for us, Yuki-san?" he asked.

"I'm unsure, Yuto. But something tells me we will have to make our existence known to the world, one way or another." She said with a little optimist in the tone of her voice.

"Why would you go out to the dangers of the world? Why would you risk your life to go out there?"

"Because I already know how it ends, and I've calculated the dangers of the outside world. It's not as bad as it seems." A smile suddenly carved on her face.

"And I somehow believe, there is someone out there I have to meet."

She held a flower in her hand, a perennial that had been turned to ice, and with just a single blink, the transparent flower turned into a white rose once more.