What Happened In The Morning

I didn't want to stop but something compelled me to. I get out and walk towards her. I don't feel control over my body. It almost feels like I'm floating. My mind is intact but it has a hidden agenda against me. As I get closer, with each step, my entire being keeps me guessing. I kneel down to her level and to my surprise, she's asleep. I take the cigarette from her lips and I notice that she's cold from the slight graze of her lips. I try to wake her but she groans and brushes me away. I'm thinking of leaving her here and just going home. Taking a few hits of acid, getting into bed, and getting the rest I need. Ultimately I pick her up to stand so her legs will wake her up. She asks me where am I taking her and I say to my place. Right after she falls asleep again. I put her arm over my shoulder. And help her towards my car. She stumbles the whole 10 feet, however she gets in without a fall. As we arrive to my house I carry her inside and lay her on the couch. She murmurs something but I can't make it out. I get back into my car and sleep there so she doesn't suspect me of anything.

 I get back into my car and sleep there so she doesn't suspect me of anything

I wake up to tapping on the window. Through the glare of sunshine piercing the window I see a silhouette. It's her, and she wants to say something. I get out of the car and she tells me that she's thankful and that she didn't take anything. Then to prove it she turns her pockets inside out. Nothing but lint falls to the ground. She quickly puts her pockets back in, thanks me again, then starts to walk away waving. I don't say a thing. I wave back and watch her walk away. I lean against the car and think to myself I'm glad I helped her. A wry smile appears on my face and, awkwardly, fades slowly. If only these types of things happened all the time maybe suffering and distress would be a thing of the past. Sure not everyone can afford to do things like this but if they could just do what they can, maybe, just maybe. I straighten up and take in the moment, fresh air, and warm sunlight one more time before I head inside.