“I’m not doing anything for you,” she growled, “and you can’t make me.”

“Don’t say such things when you know it will never happen, child,” he drawled, getting back on his feet. “If you think your powers will help, I’m afraid I’ll have to burst your bubble and say that it won’t. So be a good girl and follow orders, yes?”

Jiyong turned to TOP and whispered something when Hyerin interjected.

“What are you planning to do with me?” she demanded.

Jiyong gave her his trademark friendly smile and said nothing. He hovered over her cage, pulled out a cigar from his suit pocket and lit it with a lighter.

“You know, child, before I was the mayor I was a nobody,” he started, taking a drag on his cigarette. “Just your usual sob story of an alien boy sent in an unknown land to prove something to his people, to save his people. I started from scratch and worked my way up to where I am now. It was not easy, but once I figured out the convenience of consuming humans I finally had something to call my own discovery. And so a couple of Xinths came to aid my journey, until I arose to power with deception and trickery. I mastered the human custom and found out how gullible and naïve you all are. I used that to my advantage.”

He took another puff before continuing, “Then one day, I discovered something. I discovered a woman. Or maybe she discovered me first, I am not quite sure,” he said. “She was snooping on us while my boys and I were plotting our first kidnap of the night. You know, for our daily meal. She saw us and I saw her, and she was the most beautiful human I’ve ever seen in my life,” he said. “I told my boys to get her and they did. She struggled a lot, a tough girl she was, but we managed to hold her down. I didn’t take her just because she was beautiful, no; I took her because she had something I never knew a human being could have.

“She had powers, Hyerin,” he said, grinning. “We brought her to my lab and saw she had a different DNA, a different set of chromosomes. She was the first person we used to send the first big wave of Xinths to earth and her energy was like no other. If using a regular human brought five Xinths to Earth, she brought a hundred.”

He laughed, reminiscing. “She was fantastic. I was able to suck her powers in less than an hour, no trouble at all. Only thing was she kept screaming and kicking and punching. You know, the usual. So after I was done with her I killed her myself. Shot her in her thighs, stomach – all around – but I didn’t want it to be an instant death, you know. Where’s the fun in that?” he chuckled. “She was very beautiful. I took her wallet and rummaged through it, then found a stunning picture of her. Look here.”

He fished his wallet from his pocket and took out a Polaroid. “See?” He slipped the picture through the railings and it fell on her lap. Hyerin picked it up, annoyed, but froze right after taking a good look at the woman Jiyong was talking about.

It was her mother.

Her heart dropped at the sight and her breathing became harder. She was ready to burst into tears right then and there, but refused to do so as she didn’t want to let Jiyong see her in such a weak state.

“You’re a monster,” she spat in a shaky voice. “You’re fucking horrible.”

“I underestimated your compassion, Ms. Hyerin,” he said, amused. “I never knew you sympathized with strangers so much.”

Hyerin balled her fists and looked away from him. He didn't know.

He didn't know Hana was her mother.

“Well, since you feel so bad about it I’ll let you keep it,” he sighed. “Know that that woman was the one who made me begin my search for the likes of you. I am surprised you feel pity towards the woman who brought you where you are today.”