chapter 3

Maren Elizabeth

I take a seat at a diner near the auto shop. The smell of coffee gives me the much needed energy to finish the day. I groan to myself thinking about having to go into work. Who the hell would want to work at a stupid stupid restaurant where your boss is a pig, your coworkers hate you, and your customers treat you like a toy. This town is going to kill me. I order a large coffee, black and to go, then head out to the street. My shift tonight is from five till closing at twelve. I despise getting the last shift of the night. I always get the creeps and pervs who come in for only a glass of water. Taking a hard left, I go into the restaurant, if you can call it that even. Its small, badly lit, barely anything on the menu, and honestly, pretty damn dirty. It pays though- so I guess im sticking around. Running into the back, I quickly put on my apron, I dont have to tie my hair back since its already up, per usual. After that I grab my notepad with the pen, going to face the customers. None of the other workers bother saying anything to me, like I said, they all hate me as much as I hate working here. Someone sits down in my section, so im immediately over to them. A large tip is what I see in my future.

"Good Afternoon! Welcome to Shiffs diner, can I start you out with anything?"

"Three waters for the table." The man says not even looking at me. What a rude asshole. Who I assume is his wife, looks over at me briefly, scrunching her nose in disgust.

"...I'm sorry maam is something the matter?" I say with mock sympathy in my voice.

"Didnt my husband order three waters for you to get us?" She replies.

"Waitress, yes, hello. I asked for water and I still see you standing here. If you dont go right now Ill cut your tip in half. This service is biel." He scoffs turning back to his wife and child whose face is stuck in a phone.

"Aha." I say glaring at them, "We have a policy though."

"What is your policy?" The husband asks looking me over.

"I can't serve to customers whose heads are in their asses." My face emotionless as I glare right back at them. Both their faces are shocked.

This is another reason why people dont like me. I'm not the easiest to get alone with I guess.

"We will have you fired!" He yells standing up. Ohhhh if he wants to fight he has something coming for him.

"Oh god sit the fuck back down mr. high class. You dont have the right to talk to me in this way and neither does your bitchy, fake, gold digger wife!" All eyes are on me and mr. high class. I dont care.

"Manager!" He calls behind me.

"Oh no gonna go call mommy on me?! Fight your own battles. And while were here, I think myself and the rest of the staff would appreciate it if you didnt dip your hair in our grease fryer to do your hair Danny Zuko. Maybe if you kept your fist in your mouth rather than up your wifes silicone ass, then youd be able to shut your trap so I didnt have to do it for you!" He takes a swing at me. I dodge to the left and kick him in the gut. Oh he can go straight to hell for all I care.

He grabs for my hair, which thankfully is in a ponytail, so he misses. I punch his face as hard as I can. He stumbles back into the table shaking his head slightly.

"COME ON CAN'T HANDLE GETTING YOUR ASS HANDED TO YOU?! COME AT ME ASSHOLE ILL SHOW YOU WHERE YOU CAN SHOVE YOUR INSENSITIVE RUDE WORDS!" I start pushing towards him again when I feel a pair of arms wrap against my waist pulling me back. I elbow whoever it is in the gut hard to get away, but the arms stay tight around me.

"GET OFF ME ILL SHOW HIM HOW TO THROW A REAL PUNCH!" The arms stay tight around me though, and I finally turn around to see my boss, his eyes in a tight glare, and I all of a sudden lose all the fight in me.