1 3 | m a d d e n i n g

Start from the beginning

"Got it. See you soon."

"Yeah see you soon," she said before ending the call.

Maddox was coming over.

The thought was finally registering in her mind and she realized how terrible she looked considering she had just woken up. Flinging the covers off her, she raced to make herself look presentable.

Brushing her teeth and changing into a pair of leggings and some big shirt she found in Aubrey's closet, she quickly brushed her hair before rushing out of the room. Racing to wake Riley up, she didn't find him in his room.

"Riley?" she said loudly hoping he'd be near.

"Riley?" she practically screamed as she hurriedly made her way to the living room. She sighed in relief seeing him eating cereal at the counter.

"Jeez, you could've woken me up," she said.

He shrugged as he laughed, "You snore."

She gasped before crossing her arms, "No I do not. Don't spout such lies."

"Are you calling me deaf?"

She opened her mouth to reply but the doorbell cut her off. Looking over towards where the sound was coming from, she turned back to Riley.

"Stay right here."

As she made her way through the living room she heard Riley's snarky remark, "Where else would I go?"

Smiling at his extravagant attitude, she opened the door to reveal Maddox.

"Hi," she chirped as she opened the door wider so he could come in.

"Hey," he replied as he took a step into the little ranch and surveyed the decor.

"Cute."

She rolled her eyes, "Cause I asked for your opinion."

Shrugging, he followed her into the kitchen. As he took notice of the kid with milk sitting above his lips, he cracked a smile.

"Uh you got a little," he started gesturing towards Riley's face, "you got some milk."

Riley wiped the milk with the back of his hand before smiling widely at Maddox, "Is it gone?"

Maddox chuckled, "Yeah you got it."

He beamed at Maddox as he stared at his huge frame. Noticing how Maddox glanced back at Evelyn who was preparing breakfast, he couldn't keep his mouth shut.

"Are you Evie's boyfriend?" he loudly asked.

Maddox's eyes widened and a clattering of kitchen utensils stopped him from responding. He looked over Riley's shoulders as he saw the pots that Evelyn had dropped back into the sink.

She turned around giving them both an apologetic smile and he smirked at the blush staining her cheeks.

"Uh no hun he's just a friend," she stated clearly embarrassed.

Riley gave her a look that told her he didn't believe him, "Are you sure?" he said with sass, "you don't have friends."

Maddox laughed at his statement.

"We're friends," he said leaning closer to Riley before whispering loud enough for Evelyn to hear, "but she wishes to be more."

Soon, a rag hit Maddox in the face and Riley started laughing. He threw the towel off him before raising an eyebrow towards Evelyn challenging her to do that again.

"God you two are frustrating boys," she groaned.

Maddox playfully high-fived Riley, "She's grumpy."