Release day, baby

Dom's POV

This last month flew, and the doctor released me. I walked with a slight limp, but I had full use of my right side, and my speech was back to where it was before the stroke. They put me on medication to prevent this from happening again. They still had no cause why this happened, but I was lucky.

Kami walked out with me, hand-in-hand. She was my lifesaver. She pushed me to work harder when I wanted to give up. She told me, mom was bringing Mikayla home later once I got settled. I couldn't wait to be home in my house with my girls.

I climbed into the passenger side as she climbed into the driver's side. I was on restrictions until my next doctor's visit, which meant no driving.

"Ready?" She asked.

"Let's go home, baby girl," I said as she smiled.

She drove us home and pulled into the driveway. She got out and helped me. I limped up to the front door, and she opened it only to get a surprise. Everyone was waiting for us with a welcome home party.

Everyone greeted me as I walked in. It was a sweet homecoming. Then I felt something crash into my legs, causing me to stumble a bit.

I looked down. "Daddy, you're home!"

I smiled and leaned over and picked up Mikayla. "Baby girl, I'm home."

"I love you, daddy," she said as she threw her little arms around my neck. I held her tight. "I love you, too, baby girl."

I missed her hugs, and I love you's. I missed her.

I set her down and walked over to the couch. Everyone watched as I sat down.

"How are you feeling?" Ben asked.

"Alive," I said to him, and they all smiled. Kami waddled over and took a seat next to me. I slid my hand into hers. "But relieved. I never thought I would have a stroke in my life, but it makes me realize what is important in life. Thank you all for helping us so that Kami could be with me. I appreciate it so much," I said to them.

"Well, you will like things a lot more," Kelly said to me. "All of us got together and made alterations to your house to make things easier."

I looked at them.

"Kelly installed a lift to go to the second floor while you recovered and added on an addition to the house," Wyatt said.

"Then Wyatt and I set up a home gym so you can still work out to keep working on your recovery," Brent said.

"Scott and I set up an office for you and Kami to work from home when the doctor releases you," Dad said.

"We also made sure you both have everything for the baby, and the nursery is all set," Lina said as Tara, Kara, and Mel nodded.

"And we have been trading off taking care of Mikayla," Georgia said, motioning between her and mom.

I didn't know what to say. I sat there, stunned. Our family did all this for us so that I could get better.

"Here, this is for you," Rob said, handing me an envelope. I opened it, and they were papers - adoption papers. Kami was officially Mikayla's mother. I looked at him. "Normally, you must be present, but I pulled a few strings and explained to a judge what happened. He signed off and made things legal."

I had no words for any of them.

"Dom, you deserve this. You put us first, and now it's our time to put you first," Kami said to me.

I pulled her into a kiss and hugged her. Everything she and her family did for me, along with my family, I couldn't ever thank them enough. In times like these, you appreciate people and life a lot more.