ten

Bucky stood wide eyed as he watched the woman dive into the water

Bucky stood wide eyed as he watched the woman dive into the water. He knew in her condition there was no way that'd she be able to assist Steve, but what he didn't know was that Marci had already lost consciousness before she had even hit the water. Bucky faced an internal battle, unsure of what he next actions should be. He knew him. He knew that for certain, he knew Captain America but the woman was no one to him but she was someone to Steve or otherwise she wouldn't have been here helping him. He surprised himself by jumping over the of the edge and into the water. He dove down, finding both Marci and Steve floating aimlessly in the water, and dragged them to the sandy shore.

Steve remained unconscious for the time Bucky stayed around, but Marci awoke spitting and coughing up mouthfuls of water. Marci's chest heaved in a coughing fit but her body felt numb. She was too weak to sit up, like a baby she was unable to lift her head only turn it from side to side. When she glanced to the left she saw the Winter Soldier walking away.

"James," Her voice was barely audible but Bucky heard her and stopped dead in his tracks. He hesitated, contemplating turning around but he didn't want to see the look on her pale face so he continued on disappearing into the nearby foliage. Marci's head rolled to otherside where she found Steve lying next to her. She watched him intently making sure he was still breathing, which he was. Though soon after facing that reassurance Marci's vision became clouded and she fell into an unconscious state. 

Marci's time in the hospital was longer than expected, she spent almost four days in a medically induced coma as the doctors needed to operate to fix the internal lacerations caused by the gunshots. Sam had almost never left the conjoined hospital room that Steve and Marci shared, even when Steve awoke three days prior.

    As Marci began to stir her ears were met the mellifluous voice of Ed Sheeran, her favorite artist. The familiar lyrics caused Marci's lips to tug into a small smile on her slightly sunken in face. She slowly began to open her eyes allowing them time to adjust to the bright white shine of the hospital room. When her eyes opened she glanced around the room finding Sam perched at her bedside, staring intently at the adjacent wall lost in his thoughts.

    "Hey, Falcon," her voice came out barely above a whisper but it was enough for her best friend to snap his head in her direction.

    "M," His eyes widen and a large grin appeared on his face as he leaned towards the injured female. "Thank god."

    "How bad was it?" She asked as Sam handed her a cup of water which she downed as soon as it was placed in her hand.

    "Bad enough," He nodded his head while his mind trailed off to the memory of the doctors telling him that they were not sure if she would ever wake up. "There was lots of internal bleeding."

    "Well," Marci let a small chuckle escape her lips. "That is where the blood is supposed to be."
    Sam rolled his eyes at his best friend. "It's not funny. You could have died."

    "Oh Sammy, you can't get rid of me that easily."

Marci was released from the hospital the next day, and her, Sam and Steve were meeting Directer Fury at his memorial. When the trio arrived Fury was already there, staring intently at his grave stone.

"So, you've experienced this sort of thing before?" Fury spoke, a hint of humor laced in his words. Fury's new look shocked Marci. She had only met the man a few times but he had almost always been dressed in his dark trench coat so his new outfit surprised her. His hoodie and sunglasses made him look less intimidating, which gave Marci a sense of comfort.

A small smile appeared on Steve's face, "you get used to it."

"We've been data-mining HYDRA's files. Looks like a lot of rats didn't go down with the ship. I'm headed to Europe tonight, wanted to ask if you'd come," Fury's words were directed at Steve.

"There's something I gotta do first." Marci's ears perked at his response, curious of what he was going to do next. Was he going to look for Bucky?

"How about you, Wilson? Cramer?"

"We're more of soldiers than spies," Sam stated.

"Besides I'm a little beat up right now." Marci added, putting her hand on her abdomen.

"Alright then," Fury nodded as he spoke. He extended his arm and all three shook his hand. "If anybody asks for me, tell them they can find me right here." Fury gives his headstone one last longing look before he walks away. As he leaves, another approaches. Natasha joined the three.

"You should be honored, that's about as close as he gets to saying thank you." Natasha stood next to Marci giving her a small small. "Glad to see your up and about." Marci didn't respond words, only a small nod and smile.

"You're not going with him?" Steve questioned.

"No."

"Not staying here?"

"No." She shook her head, pieces of her fiery locks falling onto her face. "I blew all my covers, I gotta go figure out a new one."

"That might take a while."

A grin appeared on her face, "I'm counting on it." She glanced between Sam and Marci unsure if she should continue or not in their presence. But considering all they had been through in the past week, she figured it would be okay. "That thing you asked for, I called in a few favors from Kiev." Natasha handed a folder to Steve, as he took it into his hands he held it as if it were the most fragile thing in the world. "Will you do me a favor? Call that nurse."

"She's not a nurse."

"And your not a SHIELD agent." Natasha retorted.

"What's her name again?"

"Sharon. She's nice." Natasha gave Steve a kind smile and pulled him in planting a soft kiss on his cheek. She then went to Marci, pulling her in giving her a gentle hug. "You know, we could use some more badass girls like you." Marci chuckled at her comment. "If you ever need anything don't hesitate to call."

"Will do," Marci nodded.

Natasha gave Sam a wave, and spun on her heal and left the three in their own thoughts. "Be careful, Steve," She called out. "You might not want to pull on that's thread."

Steve opened the Manila folder, Sam and Marci looking it over as well. It was full of information about Bucky and his transformation into the winter soldier.

"You're going after him?" Marci's voice was quiet as the memories of him unloading bullets into her body eased their way into her mind.

Steve wasn't sure how she would react to this and she felt bad for what Buck did to her, but he needed to find him. "You two don't have to come with me."

"I know," Sam spoke first. Marci was still trying to find the correct words to formulate a sentence. "When do we start?"

"I'm sorry," Marci's gaze was focused on the ground, she was trying to keep the tears welling in her eyes at Bay. "I can't." As soon as she made eye contact with Steve the tears began to fall. She angrily wiped them away, she didn't want to burden them with her issues. "I have to go." She sniffled and with that she left, and little did they know she had her own plan.