Part 25: Embarrassment

Cassis James:

Arizona texts me, saying to meet her at the address she gave me after six. I work on math, nearly falling asleep, until about quarter to six. Not knowing what sort of place she's taking me to, I dress myself in denim shorts and a light sweater. Grabbing my bag from the floor of my bedroom, I put on the corduroy jacket Natalia had picked out at the mall for me. My face flushes as I recall her standing the doorway of my office. On one hand, it was embarrassing, having her witness... that. On the other, I am glad she was there, or it would have been much worse.

And I don't know how to tell her that.

Downstairs, I grab the keys to my truck. I picked up my Camaro the other day, and it is scratch-free, but I feel like driving the truck, tonight. I haul myself up into the white silverado, shut the door, and drive down to the front gates. The security guards let me through, and I wind through the expanse of forest on our land, following the road. I input the address into the GPS, and follow the directions.

My GPS system takes me through the rich, luxurios, high end East End, and past the edge into the less desirable, less fortunate parts of the city. Large, gated estates slowly become smaller, regular houses, then businesses, and finally, housing for people who are not of money and cannot afford any better for themselves. This is where most of the students from Jones live, scattered among the unkempt, small, patched-up houses.

I pull up in front of a pale blue house with a small flower garden out in the front, bringing color to the rundown neighborhood. One tree shades the left side of the house where purple curtains lay open, a little girl running around the room.

"Where on Earth have you brought me," I wonder to myself, putting the truck in park in front of the little garden. I pull the keys out of the ignition and open my door. Once out, I lock it, and cautiously approach the strange house, wondering what Arizona is up to.

The little girl sticks her head out of the window, a mop of brown hair flowing in the wind. "Mi Hermana!" She yells, "There is a blondie in the yard!"

I roll my eyes, a smile playing at my lips as I think of my own little sister calling me Blondie. Having been spotted, I approach the front door and raise my hand to knock. Behind the door, there is a herd of feet stomping through the house. Another little girl opens the door, her hair lighter than the other girl's, her piercing blue eyes staring up at me.

"Hewwo, Natty is take peetzuh ow of heater. You eat wiff us?" Her small hand takes one of my fingers ushering me in. I enter wordlessly, not really knowing how to act around children. Not to mention, I have no idea why I am here. It's a small place, but the people who live here seem to care about their home.

A voice in the kitchen sends my best friend out of the room to see who was at the door, not aware that the little girl had invited me in already. "Don't kill me," she says, coming up behind me and ushering me into the kitchen.

The kitchen, where Natalia is bent over in front of the oven, pulling out a freshly baked pizza.

I look over my shoulder, pleading with my best friend with my eyes to let me go. Let me not face her. She just gives me a little shove into the room.

"Princess Sophia! Let's go play with Princess Maria, okay? Go on, I'll be right there." The little girl nods, letting go of my finger, and runs back into the other room, giggling. I look over at the wall, gently tugging at my corduroy jacket while I wait for Natalia to be free of the hot oven.

The brunette places two pizzas on the counter, one with pepperoni and the other a veggie pizza. Straightening, Natalia cuts the pizza into slices, dishing them out. She is so concentrated on her work, the brunette does not realize I am here. With a jump, Natalia places a hand over her heart when she turns around.