Chapter 17: Never Set Me Free

Start from the beginning

The trip was quiet, with the exception of the Cheerios giggling. Marley was at least satisfied by the fact that Alex seemed to be unamused by them and did his best to fall asleep on the few hours their flight took.

"You were having fun, huh?" she joked as they strolled their suitcases down the airport. They had left from Dayton, Ohio at 6:15 am and arrived in New York at 8 am.

"Cheerleaders are so not my type," Alex responded with a grin.

"So how are we getting to Rachel's?" asked Ryder as they stepped outside the airport.

"Funny you should ask," said Finn as two fifteen-passenger vans pulled down the road and stopped in front of them.

"Split up," said Mr. Schue as he was handed the keys to one and Finn took the others. "Puck, come with me, Mike, go with Finn." They nodded as they followed instructions. Unique and Marley followed into Mr. Schue's van just as Jake and Ryder headed for Finn's. Bree dragged Julie over to Finn's, and they were followed by Kitty and John. Unique called Amity and Dan over to them and Sugar and Joe decided to split up. Sugar went with Mr. Schue and Joe joined Mike.

"This is going to be who you guys travel around with when we leave in groups," said Finn as they took off. "Mike, write everyone down so we don't lose them." Mike smiled and did as Finn asked. Before they knew it, they had arrived at what seemed to be a diner.

"I'm going to go drop off luggage at our apartments," said Finn, pulling out piece of paper. "So there's no confusion, Julie, Kitty, Bree, and Sugar are supposed to stay with Fabrevans." Julie cringed at the sound of the nickname. "Marley, Unique, Shana, and Amity are with Brittana and Tina. Joe, Alex, and John are staying with Klainchel. And Jake, Ryder, and Dan with me, Mike, and Puck."

"And Mr. Schue?" asked Mike.

"Says he got a hotel," Finn shrugged. They got off the van and Finn drove back into the heavy traffic. Mike led them into a diner that was pretty empty.

"Go have breakfast," said Mike as they all took their seats.

"O-M-G," said Bree as the eight of them sat down in two tables that were right next to each other. "Julie, hot stuff coming."

Julie followed her gaze and saw Sam walking through the door, followed by an elegant-as-always Quinn Fabray. "Hey, guys!" Kitty exclaimed. She rushed out of her seat and gave Quinn a huge hug just as Santana and Brittany, wearing their red and white uniforms, walked over with notepads.

"We're here to take your orders," said Santana as Brittany nodded from beside her, her pen ready to write.

***

"So how was the trip?" Sam asked Julie as they ate breakfast.

"I was sitting with my girls so it was pretty fun," Julie answered.

"Well, I'm glad you all made it here safe and quickly," he said. "We have a long day ahead of us. Did you bring your costume?"

Julie nodded. "I kind of stole one of my Amber dresses," she whispered to him.

He grinned. "Funny you should mention that," he said. "Because I'll be wearing my Kenickie Thunderbird jacket. So I guess we'll be matching in 60s clothes."

Julie smiled. "Grease takes place in the 50s," she told him.

"So I'll be an old school 60s guy," he laughed. "So what do you say? Wanna be my date to this thing?"

She blushed. "She'd love to," said Bree, eavesdropping and loving it. Julie glared at her, then turned back to Sam.

"What she said," she said with a smile.