End of the Beginning

Start from the beginning

"Okay, everyone. Back to work." Coulson announces. The rest of the team all give you guys hugs and congratulations, except for Ward, who just hangs back to get his own time with the two of you.

"Couldn't have done it without a great and very patient S.O." Skye tells him.

"Yeah, you could have. I'm no Clairvoyant, but I do believe some things are meant to be." He responds, giving Skye a look you can only describe as pride with a twinge of longing. Then, he walks away.

——
The Cage

"Okay, on this phone, you will find a set of coordinates that'll lead you to one of the three potential Clairvoyants we've chosen. When you're within a mile, your partner will be granted access to the candidate's name and profile on their own phone. Make sense?" Skye explains to Agent Garrett.

"You know, we haven't officially met. John Garrett." He introduces himself to you two, shaking each of your hands.

"I guess lying unconscious in a gurney really should not count." You comment, and he chuckles.

"How are you two feeling?" He asks. You two look at each other and make a silent consensus on how to answer him.

"A lot better, actually." Skye responds on your behalf.

"I've been shot a couple times myself...back, shoulder. Had my throat cut once. But you know the toughest one?" He pulls down his turtle neck to reveal some nasty-looking burned skin across about half of his chest.

"Thing about a third-degree burn...the burn itself doesn't hurt at all. Crazy, right? The nerve endings get all fried. But the area around the burn? That smarts. Still, gut shot's the worst."

"Sir, we know what you did for us, how you risked your life to save us. So thank you." Skye tells him.

"You've got a good team around you. I just jumped on the bandwagon."

"Well, you trained one of them, sir." You point out to him.

"Guess it all comes full circle. Ward's your S.O., I was his. Turn, turn, turn. But this S.O. thing goes both ways. You two've had a big impact on him. He's different than I remember him." Garrett explains.

"Different how?" You ask curiously.

"Well, the tough thing about being a specialist is being alone. A team gives you a whole new perspective. Guess it's the difference between fighting against something and fighting for something. Or someone," Garrett glances to Skye. "Ward's got that now," Garrett gets up from his seat, and motions toward the phone Skye had handed him.

"Thanks for this. And, Skye, (Y/N), lose the "sir." I'm a S.H.I.E.L.D. agent, just like you." You both smile wide as he leaves the room, and you give Skye a big hug. A few moments later, Coulson walks in and it is your turn to explain. You plug in his phone to your laptop and begin your explanation.

"Okay, you will be given on this phone the name and profile of one of the potential Clairvoyants, but only once you're within a mile of the coordinates that Skye has given your partner. From there, you two can move in on your target and complete your mission as normal. Make sense?"

"Yep. Understood." Coulson confirms, and you unplug the phone, which has completed the file transfer.

"Okay. You're all set." You tell him.

"Hope you paired me with someone good...or interesting, at least." He says as he stands up. You just bite your thumb, and Skye avoids eye contact with him.

"Stop worrying. You wear your hearts on your sleeves. And your faces. I trust your guys' judgment. The way you two see the world...it's different than the rest of us. That's why I want you to dig deeper into these." He points to your laptops, which have files pulled up about the potential Clairvoyants.