End of the Beginning

The lab

"Guys, I swear, we are fine. How much blood are you gonna draw before you believe us?" Skye asks Fitz-Simmons as they are both taking yet another sample of yours and Skye's blood. It had been a few weeks since you both had woken up after being shot, and according to Simmons, the team had gone to extreme lengths to find a treatment for the life-threatening wounds you two had suffered.

They had nearly been blown up to find a miracle drug that immediately started working and you both had started healing at an exponential rate. But, something interesting Coulson had told you two is that the drug came from an alien's DNA, which didn't freak you out as much as it freaked Coulson out. He had tried to keep Simmons from giving you guys the drug, but was too late. Ever since then, you had made a full recovery, and Simmons had been very keen to study your blood.

"Your recovery-it's honestly quite unbelievable. We know Coulson had a very different recovery experience, so we understand why he's hesitant about sharing our findings with others." Simmons explains.

"Yeah, but something like this drug needs to be studied. Has the potential to save so many lives." Fitz adds on.

"We'd like to send a blood sample of yours to some colleagues to do a molecular breakdown. Maybe if you spoke to Agent Coulson..."

"Yeah, I don't think that's a good idea. If Coulson thinks it's important that this stays between us, then we should trust him. Right? He's the boss." You say, to cover up the fact that you know what the drug is made from.

"So you're saying we should obey the rules." Simmons says skeptically.

"Who are you, and what have you done with Skye and
(Y/N)?" Fitz jokes. Suddenly, you hear Ward's voice behind you.

"Skye, (Y/N), upstairs. Top brass wants to see you." He says, and you and Skye walk upstairs to see agents Hand, Blake, Sitwell, Garrett, Triplett, and Coulson. Coulson asks you and Skye to explain your strategy for an upcoming mission that everyone will be involved with, in which teams are going to each investigate a different potential suspect to be the Clairvoyant.

"Pairing off makes total sense. Just one thought, though... what if we make it a double-blind?" You ask Coulson.

"How so?"

"Well, Skye will give one person from each team the potential Clairvoyant's coordinates, and I'll give the other one the identity. That way, no one person knows the full specs of the op until you get there." You explain. Agent Garrett smiles.

"I like how you think. I like how she thinks." He says.

"One question...how are we supposed to access all the classified files without someone in the room? We don't have clearance." Skye points out.

"Now you do. Welcome to S.H.I.E.L.D." Coulson pulls out two badges. Your eyes widen. Then, May and Fitz-Simmons appear behind you with smiles as well.

"I told them to come up." May says.

"I...don't know what to say." You exclaim.

"Thank you." Skye tells Coulson.

"Don't thank me. You've both passed every required S.H.I.E.L.D. exam with flying colors."

"For a level 1 agent." Hand interrupts Coulson.

"You've assisted us on multiple field missions, put your life on the line. You earned this."

"Hell, you both took one in the gut. More than Sitwell here's ever done." Garrett jokes. Agent Sitwell doesn't say anything in response, just glances at Garrett, then looks away awkwardly.