I Think I Like You

"Eret, I think something is wrong with my brother." Ruffnut announced loudly to the said Viking as he was helping Snotlout set up some straw dummies for target practice. "And I think your sister has something to do with it."

"Isn't there always something wrong with him?" Snotlout snickered before Eret shut him up with a look before turning to Ruffnut.

"How so?" He asked. "She didn't clock him did she?"

"No, though I wish it were the case." Ruffnut replied with a shake of her head. "The other day I saw him writing in his journal and muttering things to his chicken like 'what rhymes with green?'; another day when Lupa bumped into him, his cheeks were as red as apples; I caught him staring at her yesterday-"

"Ruff are you saying you think your twin is smitten with Eret's crazy baby sister?" Snotlout asked and Eret's jaw dropped.

"Uh, duh! And on top of that this morning he shoved a bouquet of flowers mixed with weeds, pretty sure he thought those were flowers, into her arms and ran off!" Ruffnut snapped and looked at Eret with an unhappy expression. "I thought you should know, but please don't kill my brother."

"Oh boy, now you two can join the club." Snotlout muttered. "The 'My Sibling Is Dating The Sibling of My Fellow Rider' club that Astrid is also in. Now feel free to feel awkward."

"I'm gonna go slap someone, preferably Tuffnut." Eret muttered, dropping the dummy and stormed out of the academy.

As he stormed out, he caught sight of his sister coming to the academy with what looked like a bouquet of flowers in her hands. When Lupa caught sight of Eret and the angered expression on his face, she quickly hid the flowers behind her back.

"Uh...hi big brother!" She said quickly and gave a nervous laugh. "Why do you look so angry? Did Snotlout make you mad?"

"No, but a certain boy did." Eret responded with a frown. "Where did you get the flowers?"

"Uh flowers? Oh, you mean these?" Lupa asked, sheepishly moving the flowers out from behind her back. Not much to his surprise, there were a few weeds with them. "Uh...I picked them myself "

"Ruffnut told me your brother has been acting strange thanks to you."

"M-me? What did I do?"

"Nothing, but like all stupid boys he eventually starts acting strange to get the attention of a girl he likes."

"Like the way you flirt with the seamstress' apprentice?" Lupa scoffed and smirked when her brother's cheeks slightly turn pink. "Dear brother, you can't fool me."

"This isn't about me!" Eret snapped. "If Tuffnut approaches you again-"

"You'll what? Strap him to a wild dragon and send it off to who knows where? Throw him into a pit of boars?" Lupa challenged. "Or better yet, hide his chicken? If someone likes me and wants to show me affection, you shouldn't try to stop them Eret. Especially if they're your friend. Tuffnut is a nice boy, and it actually feels nice to know that someone likes me in that way and isn't planning to stab me in the back any second. For once in my life I want to do something normal, like start a relationship with someone who actually likes me for who I am on the inside."

And with that, she turned away and stomped off, leaving Eret alone and feeling dumbfounded.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"You ratted me out! How could you, my own sister?!" Tuffnut groaned. "To the brother of the girl I think I'm in love with!"

"Hey he was gonna find out sooner than later, and I actually heard her yell at him about that she'd like to at least have someone to like who won't stab her back." Ruffnut replied with a shrug. "So I do think you should be expecting a girlfriend in the future."

"This won't be too awkward, right? Remember how weird it was for Snotlout and Astrid when they found our their own siblings were dating?"

"Yeah, but I don't think Eret is going to find it that awkward. He'll be a bit more protective towards his sister than anything now."

"That is true, but I'm actually a very likeable guy!" From her little corner of the bed, Chicken let out a little coo of agreement to that statement. "So Eret has no reason to worry about me mishandling his precious baby sister."

"Guess a Thorston will actually get to date an Eretson." Ruffnut chuckled to herself.