Chapter Twenty-Seven

Start from the beginning

        “I’m good,” he says and then swipes my coffee before taking a drink.

        I roll my eyes. “And what about friends? Any close BFF’s?”

        “Did you seriously say B-F-F?” he asks, putting my cup back. “And well, I don’t have time for stupid things as friends. And all they ever do is betray you or take your money. It’s always one or the other.” His attitude takes a complete one-eighty turn.

        “I’m sorry, did I touch a nerve?” I say, hoping I don’t ruin our good mood but I’m also curious about his past. He’s never told me anything before about his past and his family and today’s the only opportunity I actually have to ask. I don’t want to know nothing about the guy I supposedly like. How sad is that?

        Lee continues chewing and looking at his plate. “No, it’s fine.” I stare at him as he does so because I don’t know if it’s actually fine. He looks up. “What?”

        “Nothing,” I say, continuing eating.

        “No, say it.” I really don’t want this to turn into a fight. Not today.

        I set my fork and knife down. I want to be honest with him. “I…I’m just curious, okay?” I say. Playing with the fork in my hands, I try to find courage to say what’s on my mind. “It’s just—I know nothing about you. Yes, I know your favorite colors and all that now but I don’t know anything really. Nothing big or anything about your life or past. But I’m just a big open book. You already know everything about me and there’s really nothing to tell. I just feel vulnerable, you know? You have an upper advantage.”

        Lee’s eyes press together in a sad way. I don’t want to make him upset or angry but I just want to know more about him. If I’m going to like him, I want to know everything, no matter how long it takes to figure it out.

        He surprises me by placing his hand over mine. I’m still holding the fork so I let it go and squeeze his hand back. “What,” he says, “what do you want to know?”

        I look up, taken back. I didn’t actually think he would let me in. His eyes look at the napkin holder by the window and I know this is hard for him so I’ll take it easy and slow. I don’t know where to begin or what to say but I’m excited and happy. Lee is actually giving me access to his head.

        “Um,” I say, “what’s your mom’s name?”

        I want to crawl into a hole and stay there. I can’t believe that’s the first question I asked. Lee is basically opening the gates to heaven and to everything in his life and the first thing I ask is what’s his mother’s name? I am ready to die.

        Lee looks at me and smirks. “You want to know what my mother’s name is?”

        “Yeah?”

        “You’re a funny girl,” he says, laughing as he looks out the window. And then he turns back to me and looks me in the eye to show that he’s serious. He’ll answer any question I give him. He wants me to know he trusts me. “It’s Jane.”

        I smile because Lee actually is willing to open up for me, me, some random small-town girl he met months ago because of a lie. This means so much more than the kisses and the hugs—his trust. “That’s a pretty name.”

        “Thanks,” Lee says, smiling, like he finds this too funny.

        “Okay, that was a stupid question,” I say. “But give me a break, I have to think.” It’s funny because I’ve had a billion questions about Lee Richardson since I met him but now that I can actually answer them, it’s all blank in my head.