Ch.5 - Liam's Waking Nightmare

"Liam, you look like you haven't slept in days. Please, call in sick. I can take myself to work. You need to rest. I'm worried about you."

"I know you're worried about me, love. My vacation's right around the corner though, I don't want to take a sick day if I can make it until my vacation is in effect. Another two days and I'll be sleeping."

"Liam, promise me something?"

"Anything for you, Anna," he said, as he kissed the top of her head.

"Promise me that you'll see a doctor if you haven't slept before your vacation?"

"Anna-"

"No, Liam. Promise me. I don't want to be at work and worrying that you got in a wreck going to one job or another or even on your way home or to get me. I don't want to be worrying that you're sitting in your truck dead somewhere. You would make me see a doctor. Hell, you'd take me in to one kicking and screaming. Promise me?"

He was silent, his head resting on top of hers as he pulled her close to him. "I promise, Anna. I promise you I'll see a doctor if I haven't slept before my vacation hits. I promise you that if I get too tired I'll call in and leave early if I have to."

"Thank you," she whispered.

"In the mean time, I need to get you to work. Come on." He rubbed his cheek against her head and she smiled, tilting her head up at him and kissing his chin.

"You're sure you don't want me to drive there?"

"I can drive just fine. Besides, it'll be easier if I drive because I won't have to worry about moving seats around or anything. Like adjusting my seat after you've driven."

He laughed as she smacked his chest lightly. "Ha ha. Sure, make fun of the short one. Just because you and Theodore are giants doesn't make me a midget."

"I never called you anything of the sort," he said with a grin.

"Let's go. No use in arguing with you since you probably can't hear me all the way up there." At 5' 8" Anna was a good four inches shorter than both Liam and Theodore. She felt like she was always shorter than the people around her, even though she stood at average height.

Liam picked her up and she grabbed her bag as he carried her to the truck. "You don't have to carry me."

"I know. I want to carry you. How could I not want to? Besides, after we're married I plan on carrying you over the threshold of our house." He grinned.

She blushed, burying her head against his chest. She opened up the truck door and he slid her inside the cab. She got herself buckled in and the door shut as he got in on the driver's side. She let her hand rest in the space between them and he smiled as he put his hand over hers.

The drive was quiet aside from both of them humming to the radio as their song played. Liam pulled up at the curb in front of the bookstore and put the truck in park. "Your destination, madam," he teased.

She smiled and leaned in to him, kissing him. "Thank you, kind sir. Please, Liam, be careful on your way to work. Call me if something happens. I'll let Janet know what's going on," she said, opening her door.

"I promise. I'll let you know if something happens."

"Good," she said, leaning back in the truck for another kiss while she grabbed her bag. "I love you."

"I love you," he replied, blowing her a kiss before he checked and went on his way. Liam didn't work for a corporation directly, but he did work for different people. He had steady income, flexible hours, and still had vacation time with his new contract. A lot of what he did was odd jobs and setting up things while answering questions, but he liked what he did.

As he drove he yawned loud enough to drown out the radio. He barely felt it as his eyes get heavier and heavier. Until he heard Adam's voice beside him in the truck he didn't notice anything going on.

"You can't protect her. You know that."

Liam bolted up, looking around. He didn't see anyone in the cab with him. Shaking his head he turned back to the road.

Adam's voice chimed in again, "You know you can't protect her and that bothers you. Oh does it ever bother you". When Liam looked up he saw Adam sitting beside him in the cab. He hit the brakes and gasped for air, looking around to make sure Adam wasn't really there.

Liam took a few deep breaths to calm himself and he got farther down the road before he heard Adam again, "You try to tell yourself you can protect her, but you know that you can't. You'll never be able to protect her no matter how hard you try. Some part of you knows that".