Chapter 31

Stoneclaw and Ivygaze sat in the warriors den. The two had become mates after Ashclaw had run off. Thankfully, Spottedmask and Tawnyheart had believed that she had been attacked by a badger, thus saving Ashclaw from getting exiled.

            Ivygaze sat, watching her kits pad off to train. Stoneclaw licked Ivygaze's ear. Ivygaze turned and smiled.

            "I'm glad we're back together," Stoneclaw said.

            Ivygaze nodded.

            Stoneclaw nuzzled her affectionately. It felt great to know that Ivygaze was his again. If Ashclaw layed a claw on Ivygaze or her kits, Stoneclaw would go after him.

            Ashclaw had returned to camp the previous day like nothing had happened at all. Cats knew he was no longer mates with Ivygaze though.

            Ivygaze touched her tail to Stoneclaw's and then pointed her tail to across the camp.

            Stoneclaw looked seeing Ashclaw talking to Marshmallowheart. The two were laughing together and talking.

            "No, they-they couldn't..." Stoneclaw said. Maybe they were just friends. Maybe that was all. Cottonnose wouldn't be happy though.

            Noticing that they were being stared at, Ashclaw and Marshmallowheart walked over to the den.

            "Hello, Ivygaze," Ashclaw smiled.

            Ivygaze let out a low growl.

            "This is my new mate, Marshmallowheart," Ashclaw said.

            No. It was true. This was his revenge? Being mates with Marshmallowheart? For Cottonnose maybe, but not Stoneclaw. He knew how horrible Cottonnose would feel when he heard the news.

            "Hi," Marshmallowheart said. She obviously did not know what Ashclaw was really like. "I thought I would never get a mate, but then Ashclaw came along and it was love."

            Ashclaw smiled. "Yes, dear. Why don't you go pick out some food from the fresh kill pile and we'll share." Ashclaw gave an evil grin and padded off.

            Ivygaze's eyes widened.

            "What?" Stoneclaw asked. Suddenly he knew what she meant. "He's-he's using her, isn't he? To make you jealous? He's going to be mates with Marshmallowheart, maybe have kits with her, and then leave her..."

            Ivygaze nodded.

            "We have to tell her!"

            Ivygaze shook her head, pointing to Cottonnose who was returning to patrols.

            "I see. Cottonnose has to tell her then," Stoneclaw said.

            They watched as Cottonnose began to question Marshmallowheart. When finding out that they were mates, Cottonnose knocked Ashclaw over, pinning him. Marshmallowheart pushed her father off, not knowing why he was doing such a thing. Ashclaw nodded and Cottonnose ran off to Ivygaze and Stoneclaw.

            "Did you hear?!"

            Stoneclaw and Ivygaze nodded.

            "What do we do?" Stoneclaw asked. "He's obviously using her!"

            "I know," Cottonnose said. "I-I don't know if I can tell her or not."

            "Well not right now," Stoneclaw said. "You'll have to wait a few weeks."

            "A few weeks?! Do you know what he could do to her by then?! He could completely make her go crazy for him!" Cottonnose hissed.

            Ivygaze rested her tail on her brother's shoulder, easing his anger.

            "A few weeks," he sighed. "I hope Marshmallowheart will be okay. I'm going to tell Snowtail though."

            "No!" Stoneclaw hissed.

            "Why? She won't tell anyone," Cottonnose said.

            "Not that!" Stoneclaw growled. "Do you realize how fierce Snowtail is? She'd try to murder Ashclaw on the spot! Then the truth would come out and Ashclaw would be exiled. Wait a few weeks, then tell Snowtail and Fuzzytail. Then we'll tell Marshmallowheart."

            "It's going to hurt me," Cottonnose said. "But okay. I'll wait."

            Ivygaze smiled at her brother, but Cottonnose couldn't smile. It would be a hard couple of weeks for him.