Epilogue

Sleep was evading Tony, again. It might have been a common occurrence for the Tony of the past but it hadn't happened to him in a while and at present, it was bothering him to the bone. "(Y/N)?" He called into the darkness.

The room was never really dark, not with Tony in it. You had to grow accustomed to your own little beacon of light all over again. Unlike him, sleep did choose to visit you that night and your eyes had just begun their REM when you heard Tony's voice. "Hmm?" You answered, pushing your face further into the pillow.

Suddenly it became clear to Tony why sleep would not come to him. His fears and insecurities were closing in on him again; choosing to do so in the middle of the night. "Do you love me?" He fought the lump forming in his throat.

You finally lifted your head from the sheets. "Tony, we have been married for three years."

The logic was meant to be unassailable but Tony being Tony, found a fault. "Yeah, but did you marry me because you felt like you had to or..."

Your eyes had narrowed into thin slits not only because you were trying to take in the absurdity of the situation but also because they were adjusting to the blue hue in the darkness.

Pushing yourself up on your hands, you gently kissed Tony's forehead, letting your lips linger there for longer than required to quell all of his uneasiness. As soon as you felt the tension palliate off his forehead, you buried your head back into the pillow with a loud groan.

You understood how he felt. Hell, you could even feel it off him if you tried hard enough but even a supreme cosmic entity with unparalleled power needed their nightly rest. "I hate you so much right now." Your muffled voice came through the pillow.

A smile etched itself on Tony's face. His forehead was still tingling where your lips had just been moments ago and he wished he could savour the sensation forever. His fears had vanished as soon as they had appeared; he knew precisely whom to credit for that.

Tony shifted closer to you and wrapped his hand around your waist, pulling your back plush against his chest. His lips hovered over your ear, sending sensations down your spine even in the half asleep state. "I love you too."