The Ring

The tower seemed deserted. Of course, you expected it to be, given that you had meticulously picked out the slender time slot Steve had told you to avoid because he would be out on a mission. Him, along with most of the team.

A lot had happened in the last few days and very little had made sense. Sam and Dean had been keeping information from you, that was established fact, but now that the one trusted person you had on the flip side was feeding you incomplete truths, you intended to figure things out for yourself.

Admist the numerous hallways, one was doomed to get lost and not be found for days. Unsettled by the incertitude, you decided to seek help from the A.I. Steve had told you about, which monitored the building at all times. "Ah, Tuesday? No, um, FRIDAY! Which way do I go?"

"The last door down the hall, Miss." As per her basic directive, FRIDAY steered you towards Tony's room, which you used to share.

The room was strange, in a way you couldn't quite put a finger on, but soon it dawned on you. The set up seemed to be cohabitated by two people, one of whom was Tony Stark. The other person, whoever it was, was slightly slovenly.

A flower print towel was left out on the headboard to dry, which had dried more than required and was now collecting dust. A T-shirt and a pair of sweatpants were strewn haphazardly on one side of the bed like someone had taken them off and let them be. Upon further inspection, you also found an overflowing laundry hamper and a hair dryer still plugged in inside the bathroom, all collecting dust.

Overall, it seemed like someone lived there but at the same time, they didn't. Unbeknownst to you, what had actually happened was that Tony had gone great lengths to keep the room precisely how you had left it, hoping for that to somehow curb the pain.

"Tough luck for Stark." You mumbled under your breath, quickly dismissing the thought and diverting your attention to looking for more clues which would reveal who you were. Or rather, who (Y/N) was.

The bed was otherwise neat. Beside it was a small table, quintessential bedside furniture. On it was a photograph delicately preserved in a wooden frame. Quickly making a mental note of not invading the billionaire's privacy more than you already had, you decided to leave the room and you would have, without an iota of doubt, if your sight hadn't accidentally landed on the actual picture inside the frame.

It was you.

It was you, your arms looped around Tony's neck from behind. Tony had his face buried in the side of yours, pressing a kiss to your cheek, his smile evident even in the side profile. Your eyes were squinted shut, smile stretching from ear to ear.

Canvassing the distance in a few rapid steps, you grabbed the picture frame, tracing your fingers over the glass hoping to incite a memory but none came. Behind the frame was a ring, which had earlier failed to catch your attention.

Willing your hands to shake less, you picked it up and gently ran your thumb and forefinger around the circumference. Strangely enough, the inside was not smooth, as one would expect. Positioning the ring at a more convenient angle, you narrowed your eyes to read the engraving.

'Tony and (Y/N). Forever.'

-

'Drop everything and come back. Now.'

The team had pretty much abandoned the mission after getting the text from Clint, only to find him circling the halls, pale as a ghost.

Bucky looked around, exasperated at finding nothing even remotely close to what the text message hinted at. "What is it? I thought the place was attacked!"

"She's....she's here." Clint's lips barely made sound while his hand lifted up on its own accord, pointing down the corridor. "(Y/N)...I saw her enter Stark's room. She's here."

Everyone marched towards Tony's room, effectively led by the man in question, barely managing to avoid trampling Clint in the process. Tony felt like his head would explode. Of course he had said you would be better off away from him and the team but he would take it all back in a heartbeat now that you were here. He had questions, but more than that he just needed to be in a room with you to assure his aching heart that it was, in fact, you.

The millions of possibilities he had conjured in this limited time span about how this meeting would go were all rendered useless as the words leaving your mouth weren't even about him, let alone addressed to him.

You were standing still as a statue, holding the picture in one hand and the ring in the other, knowing full well that if you were to try it on your ring finger, it would be a perfect fit.

Scanning the crowd for the one person you were absolutely infuriated at, your eyes skipped over everyone else, even Tony - the man you were supposedly engaged to. When your eyes met with whom you were looking for, you spoke in a voice daunting enough to bring down the temperature of the room.

"Steve, I think there is something you would like to tell me."