Chapter 13: Dancing with the Dead

Start from the beginning

"I'm in my tenth year now."

I whistled. "Wow. That's a long time. You know, I'm thinking about getting into it, myself."

He remained expressionless, and yet still managed to convey a significant amount of skepticism by raising a perfectly groomed eyebrow. "You're wearing $1,000 shoes, you have on a 20 karat vintage Van Clef & Arpel ring, and that dress is this season's Burberry. I'm not even going to talk about the purse. I understand there's a waiting list for the purse." He paused. "And yet, you want to be a flight attendant?"

"I'm bored."

"Ah. Well then. Why don't you just have a baby?"

"Then I'd be bored with a baby."

He studied me carefully. "Alright. I can accept that. Don't fly domestic, you'll hate it. Go international. In fact, TransGlobal is hiring, and I know for a fact they'd be interested in someone like you."

"That sounds vaguely insulting. Go on."

"TransGlobal is old school flying. They want a young and good looking staff with high turnover. It's not about a career over there. They maintain weight standards and keep male flight attendants in the galleys while female flight attendants do the serving."

"Really?" It was my turn to raise an eyebrow. "How do they get away with that?"

"They skirt labor laws and they keep the unions out." He looked me up and down again. "I hear the interview consists of trying on the uniform and seeing if it favors you."

Visions of Norma Rae danced in my head. I could totally get on staff there and bring in the unions with me. Now, don't get me wrong; I'm not all about organized labor. What I am all about is messing with people, wrecking havoc and whatnot. And since the Supreme Court ruled that corporations are people now, it's open season, baby.

"I could totes try on a uniform. I'm good at wearing clothes." I smiled and winked. "I'm even better at taking them off."

"Girl, you could turn me," he smiled back.

Before I could reply, a felt a tap on my shoulder. I turned; a large black man in a suit was standing behind me.

"If you would like to follow me, you've been invited inside."

Jenny and her crew gapped at me, with the exception of Blaine, who sighed, "They finally figured your VIP status. Took them long enough."

"They come with me," I told the bouncer.

"The invitation was just for you."

"Oh come on. They're pretty. Be a sport."

The bouncer tried to give me an intimidating stare, but God knows that's impossible. Finally, he rolled his eyes, and growled, "They pay cover."

"Alrighty. They pay cover, and they get into the second level."

"Lady, you are too much."

"Second level, bouncer dude, or I walk."

The bouncer reached into his pocket and pulled out seven key cards. Troy almost passed out. "Satisfied?"

"I don't know." I looked at Troy. "You speak club kid. Am I satisfied?"

"Free drink coupons,'" he mumbled, in awe.

"Yeah. Add on some free drink coupons, bouncer dude."

The bouncer looked like he was going to explode but then pulled out some coupons. "Is that all?"

I looked at Troy, who peeped, "Third floor access?"

"I'll give you third floor access," growled the bouncer with a closed fist, but I intervened.