Ready Player One- Part 3

OLIVIA COOK3

Careful! Your playsuit lets you feel all the pain your avatar does!

TYE SHERIDAN

That would explain why Mortal Kombat sales are in the toilet.

Or…

TYE SHERIDAN

WHAT? Why would you give Twitter trolls the power to kick you in the balls? That’s a fucking nightmare.

OLIVIA COOK3

And yet everyone in the movie bought one, even the geek-hating CEO. And that's not even the worst part! When your avatar dies, you lose everything you earned using it, which we heavily imply includes your life savings! The world we're fighting to protect is just a Reddit-flavoured Mad Max.

INT. TYE’S VR VAN

TYE gets a call from IOI EXECUTIVE BEN MENDELSOHN.

BEN MENDELSOHN

So I’ve noticed you’re getting close to winning the contest and I thought, what if I paid you like a bajillion dollars to come win it for our company instead? I’m not such a bad guy, look: Nintendo! Tron! See? I’m a geek just like you! Thundercats or whatever!

TYE SHERIDAN

You expect me to believe you’re a non-asshole when you’re standing there being played by Ben Mendelsohn? You’re a fake geek! How dare you make a fraudulent claim to geekdom, which we’re honestly treating like a cardinal virtue at this point!

BEN MENDELSOHN

Fine, fuck you too, I was just stalling anyway while I set up real bombs at your real house! My agents saw you enter your trailer, then somehow didn’t notice when you left to go to your van and think you’re still there, and now we’re going to KILL YOU FOR REALS!

(pause)

Yes! We’ll be setting those bombs off all right! To make you DEAD!

(pause)

So yeah, prepare for THAT to happen!

(pause)

Don’t know why I told you this so far in advance of actually doing it, and thus giving you a huge chance to just get the hell out of there.

(pause)

There isn’t even a story reason for me to delay, since I’m wrong about your current location and I could have blown your trailer up immediately without derailing the story.

(pause)

Oh well, here goes nothing!

He BLOWS UP TYE’S TRAILER, killing his AUNT and his AUNT’S BOYFRIEND! But we only SORT OF CARE because those guys were ASSHOLES.

TATTOOED GUY

(running up)

Tye, I’m a friend of Olivia’s and I know a place where you can be safe! By which I mean

(abducts Tye without even trying to explain)

INT. REBELLION HQ

TYE is brought to a WAREHOUSE.

OLIVIA COOK3

Welcome to the rebellion, Tye! Allow me to introduce my fellow anti-IOI rebels,

(looks around)

Oh right I forgot, they don’t have names or characterizations or say or do anything or matter to the plot, and there’s really no reason there even has to be a rebel group in this story at all. Sorry guys, you can just go home.