Chapter 11

Chapter 11

After a shower to scrub off all the dirt and blood I was completely wiped of all energy. Katherine explained by the next nightfall I should be much better and stronger. The sun shined through the round window of the attic but that wasn’t what woke me up, the hand on my bare shoulder did. After the killer shower I climbed into bed naked, now thinking about it I could’ve used a few more minutes to dress. “What do you want?” I asked Austin. The blanket and quilt covered all important parts; I didn’t need to jump out of bed even though I wanted to haul butt away form his intense gaze.

“I’m checking on you.” His voice was soft, and unlike I had ever heard it before. I had gotten so used to him always being hard and angry at me.

I buried my head against the pillow. “Tell your mom I’m fine.”

“She didn’t send me.” he said with the same tone, it was almost hypnotizing.

I opened my eyes. “Then what?” it was like pulling teeth with this guy over and over.  His hazel eyes moved over my face, the look inside his eyes relit that feeling of lust I had last night.  This was getting dangerous. “Austin?”

I laid flat on my back as he crawled closer, his face above mine. “You’re parents will be here in an hour. They had to drive back.”

“Ok.” To be honest I had no idea and didn’t care what he talking about, I only saw his eyes and bare chest in my view. I had a flashback to our first kiss years ago and huge mistake. It was a lot like this, one second we were talking and the next he was on top of me. Except now we were on a bed and back then it had been the floor. When he kissed me now it was more like last night; experienced and deep.

We were interrupted before his hands found their way under the mountain of sheets. “Hey.” I cried out when she slapped my arm harder than need be.

“Sorry.” Andrea said. “You told me if I ever saw you with Austin to hit you because you’ve lost your mind.”

“That’s right, thank you.” I sat up and moved farther from Austin. “You can go now.” I needed him to go, I had a strong urge to move to another city. I heard the stories and warnings but I never thought an attraction between us would form to the point of recklessness, that I would say to hell with it and want him. I was able to breathe again when he left the room and I noticed my sister’s face. “I’m ok.” I tried to ease her fear.

“You could’ve told someone.” She was trying not to cry. “I’m sorry for being such a bitch to you this weekend.”

“Just this weekend?” I joked but it all fell flat. “It’s ok Andrea, being a bitch is apart of your job as little sister. There was nothing you could’ve done and I don’t want you anywhere near Logan.” The whole pack was aware of the problem now and all the gory details. “Promise me if you see him you’ll run as far as possible.” I wasn’t the only stubborn one in the family. I didn’t want her to find trouble by trying to stick up for me.

“I promise.” She said with her eyes tearing again. “I knew when Austin took off after you it was serious. Good thing he did.”

“Yeah.” I softly agreed, I should probably thank the guy.

Mrs. Carter stepped into the attic and asked Andrea to give us a few moments alone. “You look better.” She commented as she sat along the bed. “Talk to me about last night.” She was asking with a soft understanding voice rather than demanding.

“What part? I’m sure Austin told you everything.”

“He did, you scared him a great deal. I know you children argue and have pointless fights but with matters as life changing as what could’ve happened last night you know he’d never want to see you hurt.”

“I know that now. Something’s changed,” I didn’t know how to explain it but I knew I could use some help. “He kissed me.”

She tried to hide her smile. “Seeing you hurt woke the protective male inside of Austin.  You are his and you were hurt, the possibility of you being lost became real and he doesn’t know how to handle it as the emotion is flooding his system like a hurricane. The same as the need you had to protect him, you might not have understood it but you followed its lead and tried to handle this yourself.”  

This was insane; I sighed and tried to bring Mrs. Cater back to reality. “I didn’t tell Austin because I thought I could handle it and I didn’t want to owe him. It had nothing to do with some deep need to protect him. And now he’s feeling guilty for treating me so bad and he doesn’t know how to handle it.” My explanation made more sense.

She smiled and patted my knee. “Keep resting, I’ll come get you when your parents arrive.” She left, shutting the door behind her.

Alone I climbed out of the bed and got dressed in fresh clothes; I didn’t even know what happened to my things from last night. My bruises across my cheek were lighter but still visible, the same for the ones scattered all over my ribcage and wrists.

I climbed back into bed as I felt like the wind was sucked out of me. I was tired and hated how weak I felt. I didn’t know how serious last night had been until I thought back to it. The fight would’ve landed a human at the hospital for at least a week.

Austin came back; he took time to get dressed too and was also carrying a tray. “Mom made this for you.” He set the platter down on the nightstand next to my head as I watched from under the mountain of quilts I hid under.

Huh this was different, I was actually scared to face him alone, not because I was scared of him, I was scared of what I felt when he got too close. Whatever happened last night hadn’t turned off yet. I needed it to go back to how it used to be. “Thanks.” A minute, a very tense minute passed. “You can go, I’ll eat it later.” I glanced at the tray and saw some of Mrs. Cater’s famous soup loaded with meat and potatoes, even some rice.

“What if I don’t want to?” his voice was soft and almost sweet. I had no idea who this guy was; he wasn’t the Austin I grew up with.

“What do you want?” I should be kicking him out or making fun of him for wanting to spend time with me but my words came out as soft and scared as his sounded.

Austin didn’t answer; instead he showed me as he stepped forward and climbed into the bed.