Chapter 3

Chapter 3

I marched back inside with my blood boiling with anger but focused on revenge. I’d just have to see Angie tomorrow because tonight my focus was all on Austin, and he was going to know it. My plan wasn’t easy but sometimes you had to put yourself on the line to get results, making his life hell would be result enough.

I showered and put on the dress that laid perfectly along the bed with the mysterious black strappy heels that weren’t far away. I wasn’t against dresses, some were nice but I preferred my jeans and t-shirts to be comfortable in which heels were not. My hair was a mix of brown and dark blonde; I had it cut along my shoulders. After drying and straightening it I let it fall where it may, styling at its best.

The dinner gathering this month was being held at the downtown ballroom, when I said fancy I wasn’t kidding, Katherine Carter went all out. My mom and sister were ready in the living room waiting; we’d drive together with our ‘dates.’ Mom had dad, Andrea was going with Marcus Morel, another family within our pack. Lucky for her she actually got along with her date. But so would I.

Andrea noticed my differences, I wasn’t scowling. “What is going on inside your head?”

I grinned to keep from laughing. “What do you mean?” other times I’d let her in on my plans even if she did screw up by telling everyone, but this time I couldn’t even let my own flesh and blood know the truth.

“By this time you have your arms crossed, hard face and you’re leaned against the wall. Now you look almost happy. Are you on drugs?”

“Andrea!” My mother said before looking at me. “Are you?”

Now I did laugh. “No! I can’t change tonight; I have to go so why be mad? We’ll be gone a few hours out of a lifetime, it’s fine.” Mom and Andrea exchanged a look and shrugged it off.

Marcus soon arrived and kissed Andrea on the cheek, nice but very aware my parents were watching. We all stepped outside to wait for my date who of course would wait until he couldn’t wait anymore and have to come join us. Minute’s later show time began. Austin crossed the lawn in a black and white three piece suit that all the men were wearing; he also wore a forced smile.

“Austin honey you look handsome.” My mom said.

“Thanks Mrs. Lansing.” He turned on the real charm for my mom and gave her a small smile then shook my father’s hand. He was always the polite one where of course I wasn’t.

I dropped all sarcasm from my voice, it was hard. “Look at my date, isn’t he sweet?” I kissed his cheek.

Andrea shook her head as she looked at our mom. “She has to be on something.” Austin gave me a funny look as well but no one said anything more as we headed over to the family silver SUV. I grabbed his hand as we walked, he was suspicious of course but he wouldn’t risk starting a fight in front of my parents.

I hooked my arm with his after the silent drive to the ballroom; his mom was the first to spot us. As the host she wore a pleasant greeting smile, as she walked toward us her smile grew and grew. “Oh honeys please tell me this means you’ve finally come to your senses?”

“Mrs. Carter you look lovely, no I guess we haven’t. I’m just being nice tonight.” I knew for the next two years the heat would really be on, back before we were old enough to fight the plan, both our parents had agreed after our twenty-first birthdays would be the wedding.

Disappointment washed over her face. “Only tonight?”

I leaned my weight into Austin as I hung onto his arm. “Well you never do know.” Mrs. Carter got back to the party happy and I continued with my plan to be so nice I wanted to strangle myself. He kept trying to drag me away from everyone else and finally ask what the hell was going on, I didn’t let him. We mingled instead. I held onto him like there was no letting go and made sure everyone saw. When this got around school his love life was screwed. The types of girls he dated, cheerleaders, hated me.

Before dinner would be served we ended up outside in the ballroom’s garden, everyone else was inside. “Ok Sydney you win, what are you doing?”

I leaned into his chest and whispered in his ear. “Getting even.” I gave him my cunning grin as I backed away.

“You must be really pissed to touch me for almost an hour.”

“I am.” I sat on top of the bolted down patio table. “Karma is a bitch Austin and I’m sick of you riding my ass like you’re better than me or something. I chose to be the way that I am, I don’t need a group of people following me and praising me unlike some people. If I had my choice we wouldn’t even know each others names but the life we’re apart of doesn’t allow that.”

“And tonight was to prove what?” Austin asked, his jaw was tight as he held back from saying what he really felt and starting another argument.

“Damage control, you’re going to have to do a lot of it once it gets around school I was your date and there was lots of touching and you didn’t pull back. Who’s that girl you’ve been seeing? Dani, Donna? She’s really gonna be pissed and there’s too many teenagers inside for you to lie and say it never happened.”

“That’s pretty conniving but I guess I shouldn’t expect anything less from the devil’s loyal servant.”

“Cute but you need to work on better come backs.”

“Sydney if I really wanted to get you back I could do it like that.” He snapped his fingers and seemed too sure of himself causing my interest to rise.

“And how to do figure that?” Austin grinned, a sexy grin, and turned back around inside the ballroom. Hmm that made me curious and maybe also a little worried, very little.